5406 Celt-X 2019 Robot(s) CAD

With great pride, I’d like to share the CAD for Celt-X’s Einstein Finalist 2019 Robot “Buzz”.

This year was our most CNC intensive robot yet, with a half dozen custom mechanisms produced on our new router and laser cutter, including:

A combination pass-through intake and climbing arm:

A routered-lexan “box” which carried cargo and panels up the elevator and also carried a spring-loaded, laser-cut, HDPE hatch mechanism below:

A laser cut delrin “kicker” which pushed cargo out of the box:

A two-way (goes up and down through the bottom), two-stage elevator, who’s design was heavily borrowed from team 319’s design, so hats off to them.

And custom two-stage 3 Neo* (*only 2 Neos installed) ball-shifting drivetrain gearboxes with a 3D printed first stage:

You can find Solidworks files for the whole robot (and previous year robots) at our GrabCAD partner space here: https://workbench.grabcad.com/workbench/projects/gcX8aHvArM7rSATL1ufR_TEycSc5gmg9I098dgOlp-7M4C#/space/gcSiKzBrTual35TxoJocXPFyZfEGxrVAFOpoG5Ep8LxPYb
or you can download a STEP file of Buzz [edit] at the link below:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zfaAVOxA2PA-DyWboe4x4ctdT9zc9w08/view?usp=sharing

BONUS ROBOT CAD!!!
Over the summer a smaller group of students produced a new “9406” robot named “Woodie” in honour of Dr. Flowers. Woodie was a lightning fast, 20" narrow, level-1 hatch and cargo robot with a level-3 climb that could share the platform with other robots.

cx19-94-robot4.STEP (63.5 MB)

Woodie was built and tested, but sadly never fielded as there wasn’t enough space at Ruckus for us to bring two robots. Nevertheless, the project taught us a lot about what works and what doesn’t, and I’m ridiculously proud of the students who learned how to design and manufacture custom mechanisms in only a few short months.

Like this flipped 3-Neo single speed gearbox (which, btw, is entirely too much drivetrain power to put on an 80 lb robot :smile: )

A special thank you and shout out to all of our team members who worked on the 2019 CAD, including:
Andrew C, Alex W, Lukas M, Maddy C, Melina A, Mike M, Nathan C,
Andrea V, Chris P, Danny F, Kestin G, Kevin B, Mat S, Michelle C

38 Likes

One more:

Here’s a view of our hatch mech, which was completely redone after Bag Day when we watched Barker’s reveal and realized we needed to be much faster at the loading station to be competitive.

Also here is how the 2-way elevator was rigged in case someone wants to attempt such a silly idea again in the future. Hopefully the sketch makes sense (the blue is chain, the green is webbing, the orange are the elevator stages, and the heavy blue circle is the motorized sprocket. One set of this rigging was on either side of the ball conveyor.

14 Likes

Why did you think your elevator rigging was silly? Did you have troubles with it or is it just different from the way it is typically done?

I mean, it wasn’t terrible. Just different, and a bit harder to keep tension on the chain as the geometry changes. I was worried the carriage would get stuck up since it has no down pulling strap, but it was fine - you just couldn’t accelerate it faster than gravity :slight_smile:

Its not ideal, needed more maitnence than a robot that had a normal elevator.
Its different enough to be riskier, its more delicate, harder to zero (can make the robot fall over if programming malfunctions or break bumper rules)

that it being said it did some fun things and worked out well for us

1 Like

I am confused as to what the difference between a 2-way 2 stage elevator and a regular 2 stage is. Aren’t all elevators supposed to go up and down?

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. This elevator extended downwards, through the belly pan of the robot, as well as upwards. It had no “bottom” position in that way. It acted as half of our climbing mechanism. The advantage of doing it this way was that we didn’t need to build a whole other elevator just for climbing

5 Likes

oh ok, thanks for responding

How did you manage the chains where they cris cross?

1 Like

Fair question. They rubbed beside eachother. Because they travel at the same speed and same direction at that point, there was no wear or anything

This is probably the best thread for it, but I just wanted to give a big thanks to the 5406 students and mentors this year for being such an awesome group of people. I always learn something talking to the group of you and my kids are super excited about the 5406 CAD release. Cheering for yall at champs & IRI was a blast and super happy we finally got to play together at Ruckus. We’ve really learned a lot from this robot and we’re excited to see what 5406 comes up with next year.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.