71, 60, and Domination

I was not able to see the webcasts (if there were any) this weekend becuase I was at the J&J MidAtlantic. However, I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions about the regionals I missed. I’d bet other people are wondering a bit about these things too:

• Team 71 (Beatty) seeded 1st and made it to the finals at West Michigan. What, if anything, did they change (robot or strategy) from Chicago?

• Team 60 (Kingman) won in California. I have seen pictures of their robot, but I don’t know anything about its features. What does it do, and what makes it stand out?

• Was there any utter domination at West Michigan or in California? Utter domination would be if a team shows such a great control of the game, it stands out as a sure thing for the win. I would say Team 25 did this at J&J this afternoon.

Thanks!

Jeff Alpert
Team 469

*Originally posted by JAlpert *
**- Team 60 (Kingman) won in California. I have seen pictures of their robot, but I don’t know anything about its features. What does it do, and what makes it stand out?

chuckle Our student caught some video of it, but he’s out for the night. Hope to post it tomorrow. Unbelievable!!! Very exciting!!!

*Originally posted by JAlpert *
**I was not able to see the webcasts (if there were any) this weekend becuase I was at the J&J MidAtlantic. However, I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions about the regionals I missed. I’d bet other people are wondering a bit about these things too:

• Team 71 (Beatty) seeded 1st and made it to the finals at West Michigan. What, if anything, did they change (robot or strategy) from Chicago?

• Team 60 (Kingman) won in California. I have seen pictures of their robot, but I don’t know anything about its features. What does it do, and what makes it stand out?

• Was there any utter domination at West Michigan or in California? Utter domination would be if a team shows such a great control of the game, it stands out as a sure thing for the win. I would say Team 25 did this at J&J this afternoon.

Thanks!

Jeff Alpert
Team 469 **

Hi,

Some info on Team 60 (Kingman). They have a fifth wheel, to which they added a globe motor after Arizona to turn it into a drive wheel. This wheel is angled during autonomous and allows the robot to turn sharply and reach the bins in 3.1 seconds. Also, powering the wheel made it hard for human players to throw them off course with bins.

When they hit the ramp, they spread a sail which takes down pretty well the whole stack.

They then put down feet on both sides to hold their position and block off the top.

The finals were close, but it was apparent that Kingman’s strategy was quite workable.

Thanks for the compliments-

Now you see why I predict that Curie will be the big division this year.

*Originally posted by Redhead Jokes *
**chuckle Our student caught some video of it, but he’s out for the night. Hope to post it tomorrow. Unbelievable!!! Very exciting!!! **

That video

I just downloaded the video. That’s INCREDIBLE!! Team 60 did a ridiculously good job. All I can say is… WOW!

I am pretty sure team 60 added a fisher price motor to power their 5th wheel.

And a side note… Boxes do not affect its performance when getting to the top of the ramp.

The 3.1 second time is probably more recently an average. (when they do make it up to the top)

I could swear they made it up faster than that during finals.

As far as the info on team Hammond that was requested. While i dont exactly know what they changed ( i was supposed to go to West Michigan but i didn’t at the last minute)

I think alot of it came from them getting a chance to work with their robot, their drivers didn’t get any practice rounds in chicago and i think they finaly had some good solid experience underneith them that helped them out.

As far as technical specifics, i will talk to Chris Noble on 461 and find out what they changed on 71, since his dad is one of the engineers for Hammond.

My favorite feature of Team 60 is the sail. It is very driver-friendly, because you can see through one end easily and one end usually never.

Their autonomous did seem like faster then 3 in the finals :slight_smile: