7th Bi-Annual F4 CADathon

Hello everyone,

F4 is pleased to announce that we will be hosting our 7th CADathon from 6pm Eastern of August 1st to 8pm of August 4th Eastern . These dates were selected based on the responses from this poll . The live show will be featuring a brand-new panel of judges and will be streamed on August 13th on the First Updates Now (FUN) twitch channel!

Due to the steady rise of competing teams, we are giving Judges a full week to judge the submissions this time around.

Watch Live on the 13th : https://www.twitch.tv/firstupdatesnow

There will be giveaways for those who watch live, and prizes for winners of various awards. Stay tuned for further information on this.

For those unaware, a CADathon is like a hackathon but with CAD. People/teams are given a short period of time to CAD a specific thing (in this case a robot) ending with a panel of judges selecting a winner. If you would like more information on the CADathon check out our second, third, fourth, fifth, or sixth CADathons.

As for what will go on in ours:

Teams will be made of up to 3 participants . Teams can be premade with people who know each other or participants can enter by themselves and compete solo or be assigned a random partner if they wish. Partners will be assigned by skill level along with the prerequisite of sharing a common CAD suite. We will try to make sure partners are in the same time zone but that will be more difficult.
From there, every CADathon participant will be invited to the F4 CADathon slack, where they will be able to talk to each other, and be able to ask the GDC questions directly. The teams have approximately 3 days to CAD a robot from the game reveal. The game reveal will include a CAD model of the field, and a game manual. When they are done, teams must create a high quality render of their robot and submit a link to their robot uploaded in its entirety on GrabCAD. Help will be provided if you need help rendering, or using GrabCAD
Teams will also submit a google forms “pit scouting document” which will help explain their design to the judges.

All files except finals renders need to be submitted by 8pm on August 4th. We will allow an extra 24 hours for renders (you will not be able to change or edit the CAD after August 4th, however you will be allowed to manipulate mechanisms to be in their ideal render positions. Once done, the files will be inspected to make sure they adhere to the game rules.

On August 13th, a special F4 CADathon show will go live, hosted on the FUN twitch channel. A panel of 3 special guest judges will judge each robot on set categories explained in the game manual. The judges will also present their scores for each design, their reasoning behind their scores, and finally announce the winners.

The only prerequisites to join are that you are willing to spend time doing it and that you have access to some CAD software. You can be any age (this is not limited to students) and we encourage everyone from newbies to the most advanced CADers to put their skills to the test. If you are new to CAD and would like to be on a larger team to help yourself learn, please contact us as these will be handled on a case to case basis. If you are interested please sign up at the link below. Sign Ups close on July 31st at noon but please sign up as soon as you decide to participate.

(If you are signing up with a partner(s), every member of the team must submit a signup form, not just 1 member of the team).
https://forms.gle/1T2f43wAXEcokJKq8

If you are interested in being a Judge on the show, apply here:
https://forms.gle/Lc2irLk6m3nYfppC8

Link to join the CADathon Slack:
https://tinyurl.com/y4b7aark

20 Likes

WOOHOO! May the CADing begin!

2 Likes

it’s that time of year again, isn’t it?

Can’t wait to see this game! I’m already warming up my wire cadding skills in preparation!

5 Likes

Super pumped to do this again-- the CADAthon is always a great time and I’m sure this year will be no different. Can’t wait to see what people come up with!

3 Likes

It looks like the links to the 2nd through 5th CADathons are broken because they’re linking to the old CD.

Here are correct links:
CADathon 1
CADathon 2
CADathon 3
CADathon 4
CADathon 5

1 Like

I am excited to be able to compete in yet another F4 Cadathon. I’ve been doing it from the beginning, and while I don’t always finish I always learn something new each time. I truly believe Cadathons are one of the best ways to improve your design and CAD skills to be better prepared for build season. Over the past years I can really see myself grow as a designer each year through my past submissions shown below.

Winter%202017

5 Likes

Caddathon has come a long way since caddathon 2 where just designing a robust and simple robot that could play all aspects of the game was good enough to win:

To complex and detailed robots coming in 2nd:

Can’t wait to see what the other teams come up with and look forward to competing in my 3rd Caddathon!

1 Like

Where the battery at? :thinking:

4 Likes

The battery, its retainer, and bellypan where casualties of moving files around between inventor, solidworks and keyshot. They never made it into keyshot for the renders because grabcad was not uploading them correctly and we figured having our CAD be identical to the renders was more desirable than being late to get those 3 components to upload correctly. Regardless, it slid in under the elevator spool.

1 Like

Oh I’m glad that was actually cleared up. I’m sure a lot of people had no idea you guys didn’t just forget. Even without it, that CAD is absolutely insane. Can’t wait to see what you come up with this time.

I have to agree with @Csherm , that the CADathon is a great learning experience. Competing as a solo in the 5th taught me alot and really got me ready for the season. I strongly recommend people not only compete themselves, but also let their underclassmen know about it.

4 Likes

They do link to old CD, but they redirect and still work… atleast for me. Are they not working for you?

Nope, I get an error page. Are you a CD admin, by chance?

Nope. I just copy pasted each of the links for 2-5 into a completley different browser on a computer that I’ve never visited CD on, and they all redirected to the proper posts.

Oh wait that’s wack @BordomBeThyName. I’ve been clicking with my middle mouse button on the links (which opens the link in the new tab, right clicking and selecting “open in new tab” does the same thing). And that seems to work just fine, however directly left mouse button clicking on each link takes me to the error page… wack

1 Like

Woah, interesting. The same thing happens for me. I’ll message an admin and call it a day.

Sorry for derailing this thread!

I’m super excited for my 3rd CADathon!

2 Likes

Looking forward to my 2nd CADathon!

My rendering won’t suck this time around.

2 Likes

Is manufacturability a criteria for judging?

Not explicitly, but it’s up to the judge whether to be picky about it. A part not being easily manufacturable or a mechanism not being assemblable may be completely ignored by some judges, but could be a big point of contention for others. I would recommend being very clear with how you plan on machining some of the more complex parts of your robot - if you say it’s 3D printed, the judges will evaluate whether they think the 3D printed part will survive. If you say you’ll use a 5 axis mill… well, good luck with that.

Either way, I’m joining the flex party.

4:

(^ I chose a different shot for this one since @Csherm already posted the good shot)
5:

6:

6 Likes