8 weeks build period!?!

Jason Rudolph PMed me about what he saw in the FIRST website, and I checked the site, and found the same thing he showed me in his PM…

Rookie Workshop held Friday January 3, 2003 Topics: Take participants through the 8 week process in 8 hours.
Topics include: Team organization, basic chassis and transmission design, Controls, designing to a problem to name a few.
Max # per team: 2 members
Participants: First and second year teams (good for teachers or engineers)

http://www.usfirst.org/robotics/2003/manworkagenda.htm

So… we are going to have an 8 weeks build period~!?!

what…thats not right at all, because shipping date is feb 18th, so its still 6 weeks.

*Originally posted by Ken L *
**Jason Rudolph PMed me about what he saw in the FIRST website, and I checked the site, and found the same thing he showed me in his PM…

http://www.usfirst.org/robotics/2003/manworkagenda.htm

So… we are going to have an 8 weeks build period~!?! **

http://www.usfirst.org/robotics/2003/kickoffpreview.htm
“The robots these teams create in six weeks are equivalent to the projects that might have come out of millions of dollars of research money ten years ago,” said Flowers, Pappalardo Professor of Mechanical Engineering, MIT. “It’s remarkable what they’re able to do.”

I have to agree with Nataku, that this is probably just a typo. It would be cool though if it were true.

I have always wanted FIRST to have 7 weeks build period, instead of 6 weeks, because during week 3 or 4 schools usually have mid-terms, and is very difficult to get a lot of work done.

I think they just said that because it sounded better than saying “6 weeks in 8 hours”. Or, maybe just the guy screwed up… :wink:

Possibly also includes the 2 weeks prior to competition after ship-date of organizing your team further and getting materials together.

It couldn’t be the two weeks prior to the event because that workshop takes place on the kickoff day, but it could mean two weeks of competition added on to the six weeks of building.

It includes the six-week period of actual robot constrution, and the two weeks afterwards spent in an asylum in recovery from the six-week period of actual robot construction. :smiley:

-dave

Y = AX^2 + BX + C

Shaddoe: I said prior to competition
dlavery: basically the same as I said

*Originally posted by dlavery *
**It includes the six-week period of actual robot constrution, and the two weeks afterwards spent in an asylum in recovery from the six-week period of actual robot construction. :smiley:

-dave

Y = AX^2 + BX + C **

What if we build our robot inside an asylum? (I think, around here, they call it a High School.) Then what?

I believe FIRST’s general response to making the build period is as follows: we’re not that mean. That’s actually what I remember someone from FIRST (Woody?) saying at some point in time. I highly doubt we’ll ever see the build period go beyond the six-and-a-half weeks it is now.

Matt

build is actually less than 6 weeks this year, since we are shipping on feb 18th and we start a few days late

*Originally posted by M. Krass *
**What if we build our robot inside an asylum? (I think, around here, they call it a High School.) Then what? **

Then you are lucky enough not to have to drive very far to check yourselves in! :smiley:

-dave

Y = AX^2 + BX + C

Isn’t the deadline for animations and/or Chairman’s entries two weeks AFTER shipping?

–Jordan

*Originally posted by Nataku *
**build is actually less than 6 weeks this year, since we are shipping on feb 18th and we start a few days late **

Count again. It’s six and a half weeks. We’re starting a day earlier than we did last year (kickoff was Jan 5 last year).

Matt

*Originally posted by Matt Leese *
Count again. It’s six and a half weeks.

6 weeks and 3 days to be exact

Many teams don’t really get into it until the kit of parts arrives which may be as many as 3 days after kick off…

whoops, i left a week out somehow, my friend calculated it to be 5 weeks and 3 days…hmm

For the teams that actually go to the kickoff, it’s a great advantage for them because they’ll get their kit earlier which means they get more time to work with the parts (so you can kinda see it as a bonus)

it is most likely also including the time after you ship and before competitions. we have 3 weeks before our first one so that might be the case.

It says 6 weeks.