#845 's Website

Check out our website:

www.CuttingEdgeRobotics.com

Please rate the site above with 1 being highest and 5 being lowest…
Thanx

oops. I voted 2, intended 4.

Sorry, I don’t like it. I’ll give constructive criticism though.

Start Page

• Flame Text: I detest this, always have. It just doesn’t look professional, I know these aren’t Pro sites, but still, I’ve always considered flame text to be an immature graphic.

• Animation: Very choppy, veeeerrrryyyy choppy. Interesting logo but it looks like it was changed up in mspaint.

Main Page

• Frames: Frames are easy, but many browsers don’t like them
  • Logo: Your logo with black background is squished into the corner and it’s obvious.
  • Disapeering buttons: Althogh the ‘switch’ effect is neat, I’d personally suggest to another color rather than gone if you go with a switch.
    – Home Page:
    – Animation: A lot smoother :slight_smile: Logo change though, you should stick to one logo, easier to remember a team by one logo than many.

– All pages:
– Background: This made me shudder. When I click the link to go to a page, I know where I’m going. The ‘HOME HOME HOME’ or ‘SPONSORS SPONSORS SPONSORS’ background is quite annoying and takes away from the content of the page.
– MSPaint Graphics: Again, the professional/mature argument I made earlier. The page doesn’t have to be a pro, but the page does… to an extent… represent the team. A mature layout makes for a good impression. The MSPaint “shadow” effect reminds me of HyperStudio in 6th grade.

–Bravenet
– Forums:
-As you know there aren’t much for posts on your board, not even by your team. It was hard to read the posts that WERE there because of the color scheme clashing with the background image.
– Chat:
-Didn’t work for me, I assume nobody was in the room anyways.
– Advertisements suck, I got 5 pop-up ads from going to your forums and chat because of Bravenet’s use of ads.

I know I just tore apart the majority of your website. There is good content, just poor presentation of it. Sometimes a little too much eye candy can turn a page sour

Well, i guess you have a few good points…

Yet,…

Yes, frames are easy…you’re right. That is why i used them. Some of us don’t have time to do anything more complicated. Also, i don’t have access to fancy tools like “HyperStudio”, or even Front Page. I don’t know how to use flash, so i am kind of limited on what to do…
I did write this page in notepad though.
Good observation, i did make all the graphics in paint, and a cheap gif animator. I don’t know if what you wrote was “constructive”, but I did ask for it…
Yeah, I think the flaming text is a little unprofessional…
Forum and Chat:
Well, unless you want to pay the bill for me, so I can use a better chat room and forum, without pop-up ads, i don’t think i can make it better for you. Also, have I mentioned that I am pretty much the only person who knows how to do anything in HTML?

Well, thanx for the eval though…
No hard feelings…

Robert A.

*Originally posted by Robert A. *
i don’t have access to fancy tools like “HyperStudio”, or even Front Page.

I don’t know if what you wrote was “constructive”, but I did ask for it…

HyperStudio is by no means fancy. (It’s also not web development. If you don’t know what it is, count your lucky stars.

I felt it was constructive in that my points weren’t “oh well that sucks you should make it cooler.” (I’ve had this response to a webpage I’ve made.)

As to the forums and chat, unless you plan on actually using them, I’d get rid of them. People will go being “Oooh forum, lets see what this team is talking about” and be disappointed to see nothing there.

I can help you out with the HTML or get you some free photo tools so you can make smoother images. PM me or contact me, info in signature.

Ok, some constructive feedback.

• Lose the entry page. It just wastes my time.
  • The background is too busy. The "HOME"s obscure the text. This happens on every page. Lose it. Switch colors or even just let the background be white.
  • Guestbook link doesn’t work.
  • I do like the button effect in the left frame.
  • Your mail link doesn’t work.
  • Please, DON’T use a bravenet webchat and forum.

The webchat takes too long to load, and there are plenty of java alternatives that you could host on your real website.
Bravenet forums are to be avoided at all costs. If you can’t get MySQL and PHP running on whatever server you’re running now, then register a lycos.co.uk tripod account. They’ll give you an account with mysql and php. Set up your forum there and just link to it.

Who hosts your website now? Will they allow mySQL and PHP? How much are you paying them?

–Petey

I am pretty sure the server supports those. Ok, I’ll take ur advice and i’ll use a different board and chat room. The reason the board is empty tho is b/c i just put it on there. we have plenty of post on our old one, but it sucked, and had just as many pop-ups. I’ll loose the background “HOME” etc. things too. I don’t know why the guestbook link doesn’t work, but the email link was changed, and i haved had time to change the link on my page. Well, i’ll get to it…

Thanx

The website is very nice, altough, I suggest that if you can, replace the backgrounds of the main frame for maybe a solid color… black? Just a suggestion! :slight_smile:

*Originally posted by Gadget470 *

• Animation: Very choppy, veeeerrrryyyy choppy. Interesting logo but it looks like it was changed up in mspaint.

I think you had alot of good points, but think about this. Robert is just a high school student most (not all of corse, but alot) of these pages are professionally done! :ahh: Don’t be so shocked!

But what I wanted to point out in your message was the Logo. I am the person who designed it (in PSP because I can’t afford Photoshop right now heck I am only 15 with out a job]). And I think it looks … Well bad. The Animation could have been done better by me though. When ever I get my hands on the old file (before bad color conversion) Then I guess I can make it over. For example I made a banner as seen in my signature.

BUT all in all I think Robert did a great Job with the page. claps
_
Good luck Teams.

WORD!:cool:

Robert, Jon,
The 3 of us just need to get together one afternoon and fix a buncha these things, I’ve got more pics to add, and I’m sure we can fix the backgrounds, links, etc. Um…any of you other guys have PHP experience? Enough to maybe give us a good, home made message board?

if your host supports php, you can use something like phpBB www.phpbb.com ] like we use here at our board www.firstubergeeks.com/forum ] or i have a more stripped down board that i can send you…

*jeremy

I removed the BG yall. Did you make the forum yourself, or are you paying for it? It looks cool, but really complicated…

*Originally posted by Robert A. *
**I removed the BG yall. Did you make the forum yourself, or are you paying for it? It looks cool, but really complicated… **

If you are referring to the one he has on his site, then no. I don’t think so anyways.

Gadget > I agree with what you said about the frames. My site ( http://silent-poet.vze.com ) is simple, clean, and fast loading (if I take off the listen-to thing). Frames are very bad when CompuServe members view it.

Nope we didn’t make our forum.

We made the theme tho (it’s easy to change the look, I can help you match it with your site…)

If you need any help with it, PM me :slight_smile:

*jeremy

The site is not to bad, but could be a little better. Choppy graphics like gadget said is a big major for a low rating.

*Originally posted by Jay W. *
**Robert, Jon,
The 3 of us just need to get together one afternoon and fix a buncha these things, I’ve got more pics to add, and I’m sure we can fix the backgrounds, links, etc. Um…any of you other guys have PHP experience? Enough to maybe give us a good, home made message board? **

True. I have some idea’s for it and I’ll be working on re-making (and-or) making a better graphic(logo) for the site.