9179 off season project tacodile

Looks great! Is there a 2 ball auto in the works?

ps, watch out for those fouls! (2:01)

Like.
But it doesn’t turret.

Looks great! What material is on that intake? The consistency of that intake worries me though (see 2:08). Do you have any plans to account for this?

Also: How is this firing? Is it a motor? Spring? Pneumatics? I see a red cord of some kind holding the catapult, so my bets are on spring-based ratcheted shifter.

It is motor retract with pneumatic release. A mini-cim retracts the strap until a 1/2 inch rod catches on a latch. Then the winch spools out the strap and a pneumatic piston releases the latch when we want to fire it.

-the intake has a wrap for horses ankles (name is unavalible at the moment)
-yes i see that it picked up 2 balls it wasn’t driven by the driver and it is the exact same intake that was ran on 179 (financial simplicity) so no concern it can only just fit 2 balls you can see near the end it had a hard time intaking the 2nd one
-the firing is a 148 stile 2 position catapult w/ hooks to catch for the short shot and a hard stop for the far aka string. ran by surgical tubing as the power and a cim to retract (orange strap) and held down by a pneumatic piston, the cim would unspool to then fire by said piston

Any chance of pictures / CAD? Would love to take a look at how you set everything up geometrically.

Hi, looks like a great bot. Love the climbing mechanism…

Do you happen to have detailed pics of the 179 robot for Stonghold? I’m particularly interested in the climbing mechanism. How does it extend for example?

Thanks

The climber on the in season robot is a 1x1 frame that pivots off the intake. the pivot points are the same as the unused ones on tacodiles intake as 9179 uses the plates that the 179 robot was using in palmetto. At the rear of the intake pneumatic pistons extended into the climber 1x1 tubes holding the climber down. when we go to climb the pistons are retracted and springs and surgical tubing cause the climber to flip up. The cord that dangles down is normally velcrod to the top of the hanger arm and is released by the force of the climber frame extending up. To retract the whole thing the cord spools onto a pipe powered by a PTO off of the drivetrain.

How did you gauge the length needed for the hooks on the catapult? Was it just prototyped, or did you do something else to determine it?

Awesome robot as always. You never stop impressing me. This would have been an extremely competitive robot during the season. Good luck at your events!

It looks like it’s just a flashlight and no vision tracking, is that right? If so you have very good drivers, lining up with a flashlight took 229 a lot longer than that.

prototype, but it was a lot of trial and error to make sure we get it right the first time on the real thing

we started with a wood model that was darn close to the real thing

and yes no camera tracking

This looks great. Color me intrigued. I can see the purple hooks that you’re using to hold down your catapult, but what are you latching onto for the short shot? Are you hooking onto those white pegs under the catapult arm? Where’s the hook those catch on?

2 pneumatically activated short shot hooks catch on a 1/2 inch diameter rod at the bottom of the catapult arm. They stop the catapult at 25 degrees and let us make shots from all the way against the tower to having our front wheels just touching the batter. It wasn’t really shown in the video but the long shot can make it in from about 3-4 feet back from the batter giving us the ability to make a shot from nearly anywhere on the field.

The intake automatically lifts up when the robot detects it has a ball so its actually rather difficult to pick up multiple balls. The auto lift is still being tuned a little as it sometimes dosn’t detect heavily worn boulders or boulders with chunks taken out of them. Both should not be issues on a real field as some of the boulders in our shop are well past the point where they would be taken off the field.

I love the alligators sitting in the office chairs… so random.

Awesome work on this!