A fix creates a problem ...

Post Team Update #1:

<G19> MINIBOTS must remain completely autonomous and move up the POST solely through electric energy provided after DEPLOYMENT by the permitted, unaltered battery and converted to mechanical energy by the permitted unaltered motors (and associated, appropriate circuitry).

DEPLOYMENT – the act of positioning a MINIBOT on a TOWER. DEPLOYMENT starts when the MINIBOT breaks the vertical projection of the TOWER BASE circumference during the END GAME. DEPLOYMENT ends when the HOSTBOT is no longer in contact with the MINIBOT. (Related form, DEPLOY, verb)
(emphasis mine)

So now the MINIBOT can’t begin to move upwards until after it is no longer in contact with the HOSTBOT. Moving upward to break that contact is not valid.

I think that this is another very good question for the Q&A. Can the robot not start moving up until after deployment ends? Or until after deployment starts? If the former, this is a pretty nasty (but not uninteresting) restriction. I am reminded of a set of field orders I read once at Quantico, about something not being allowed until after engagement. Some of the platoons involved interpreted the orders one way (waiting until the engagement was completed), the rest another (as soon as the engagement commenced).

My interpretation is that the MINIBOT can move autonomously or by the power of the HOSTBOT before deployment but once deployed it can’t have any energy imparted on it by the HOSTBOT. The rules does not state the how the MINIBOT must move while attached to the HOSTBOT just how it most move after.

The Q&A will be the final wording but that is how I few this rule change.

So in this case the HOSTBOT could lift the MINIBOT to the DEPLOYMENT LINE but then the MINIBOT would climb off the HOSTBOT and continue up the pole after DEPLOYMENT.

I know during the animation it was said that minibots should not be deployed before the endgame begins, lest the tower become disabled. I cannot for the life of me find that rule in the manual.
Would one of you be so kind as to point me that way?

Taylor,

<G17>

According to <G19> the mini bot would have to be latched on to the pole at the deployment line. My interpretation of the rule is that once it is in contact with the tower or possibly even breaks the plane the hostbot can’t move the minibot in a vertical direction at all with out risking a penalty, even if it just lifts the mini bot up to the deployment line.

<G19> MINIBOTS must remain completely autonomous and move up the POST solely through
electric energy provided after DEPLOYMENT by the permitted, unaltered battery and
converted to mechanical energy by the permitted unaltered motors (and associated,
appropriate circuitry).
Violation: The TOWER on which the MINIBOT is DEPLOYED is disabled. If the MINIBOT is
DEPLOYED on something other than a TOWER, then the ALLIANCE’S TOWER upon which
the highest RACE SCORE was earned will be discounted.

<G19> means that HOSTBOTS are not allowed to launch the MINIBOT up the pole
at the TARGET, or otherwise contribute to the vertical movement of the MINIBOT.
Energy for vertical movement may not be stored in the MINIBOT before
DEPLOYMENT (except that which is contained within the battery and excluding
incidental kinetic energy stored in the motors or wheels, but NOT, for example, in a
flywheel).