According to this post, FRC Team 233 Pink Team is retiring. A remarkable team who have done remarkable work and impacts over the course of their years in FIRST. A Floridian, as well as world, powerhouse that has paved a path like no other, it goes without saying that if this unconfirmed news is true, they will be so greatly missed.
According to the mysterious twitter poster they will not be announcing their retirement until after IRI. The poster claims to know this because she has a friend on the team. Either the twitter poster is a terrible friend or a liar.
Teams fold every year without formal announcements. If 233 is folding they don’t owe anything to anybody in the FRC community to announce it. If they are and they do that’s a nice thing to do but not necessary nor should it be expected.
Retired is the term for any FRC team that stops competing. Resurrected is the term used for any team that was retired and came back again (ex. Rookie year 1999. Competes from 1999 to 2008. Comes back in 2011). I don’t think that term was used the wrong way.
So as someone on a Florida Team (and one with a very long history with 233) I am surprised and also not surprised by this announcement/speculation/misinformed youth.
Reasons it could be true:
• 233 is much smaller than it was when I first joined FIRST a long time ago
• Kennedy Space Center keeps facing budget cuts and 233 is their only “in house” team
Reasons I don’t think it is true:
• 233 is not facing a massive drop in members as they are a current;y a similar size= as their 2014 Team
• If they were facing budget constraints they would not have attended 3 regionals (Orlando, Bayou, and Lone Star)
• If they were losing a build space or something of the like many teams in the area would offer assistance
• They continue to contend for the culture and robotics awards so getting dropped by the school for lack of performance does not make sence
• Finally members of their team did not make this statement, a member of 2512 did.[/size]
Until it is confirmed by 233 I do not believe this should be treated as reliable information. Certainly misunderstandings occur and remember this is likely 3rd or 4th hand information provided without proof by someone not affiliated with there team.
Pink has always been an awesome team to work with and I hope they will continue to be as great as they always have been.