A request for folks running the IRI

Posted by Erin at 05/02/2001 6:04 PM EST

College Student on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

Andy and Co.:

I am writing with a simple request:

Is there any way you could possibly turn power on after the end of a match so that teams (esp. us) could be enabled to get our robot off of the field faster & easier? Our robot sometimes causes us to hold things up a little for field reset, and it would be much to everyone’s benefit if we could have power on after the match to put everything down and get it off the field as soon as possible. If you could get back to me on this, post a message here or email me at [email protected].

This would be much appreciated!! Thank you!!

-Erin

Posted by Wayne Doenges at 05/03/2001 7:06 AM EST

Engineer on team #535, G-Force, from Huntington North High School and UT Electronic Controls.

In Reply to: A request for folks running the IRI
Posted by Erin on 05/02/2001 6:04 PM EST:

I second the motion. When our robot grabs onto a goal and power is turned off, it just not an easy thing get it to let go.
*throws $.02 into kitty.

: Andy and Co.:

: I am writing with a simple request:

: Is there any way you could possibly turn power on after the end of a match so that teams (esp. us) could be enabled to get our robot off of the field faster & easier? Our robot sometimes causes us to hold things up a little for field reset, and it would be much to everyone’s benefit if we could have power on after the match to put everything down and get it off the field as soon as possible. If you could get back to me on this, post a message here or email me at [email protected].

: This would be much appreciated!! Thank you!!

: -Erin

Posted by Andy Baker at 05/03/2001 8:40 AM EST

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: Re: A request for folks running the IRI
Posted by Wayne Doenges on 05/03/2001 7:06 AM EST:

We are working on this issue (and others). I’m not sure of the outcome yet. Worst case, we will let you know after the pits open.

I realize how important this is, but I am not sure of it’s impact to the other things going on around the field… like the next match’s operators plugging into the field controllers.

Good imput, though. We will try to accommodate. If we cannot meet your needs, we’ll have a good reason.

Andy B.

Posted by Mike Soukup at 05/03/2001 10:37 AM EST

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling and Motorola.

In Reply to: A request for folks running the IRI
Posted by Erin on 05/02/2001 6:04 PM EST:

Andy-

I believe you said earlier that there will be 4 team alliances in the elims. Will there still be the auto pairing between 1-5, 2-6, etc? Getting rid of it could increase the level of competition & excitement because teams could build their perfect alliance and not worry about getting paired with a non-complimentary partner, who must play since there are no backup teams.

Mike

Posted by Wayne Doenges at 05/03/2001 12:36 PM EST

Engineer on team #535, G-Force, from Huntington North High School and UT Electronic Controls.

In Reply to: A question for the folks running the IRI
Posted by Mike Soukup on 05/03/2001 10:37 AM EST:

Only the top four (4) seeded teams will be able to pick their alliance partners.
Also, there will be only four (4) teams in each alliance. No fifth team as back-up.

Wayne D.
Here to Learn, Here to Win

: Andy-

: I believe you said earlier that there will be 4 team alliances in the elims. Will there still be the auto pairing between 1-5, 2-6, etc? Getting rid of it could increase the level of competition & excitement because teams could build their perfect alliance and not worry about getting paired with a non-complimentary partner, who must play since there are no backup teams.

: Mike

Posted by Andy Baker at 05/03/2001 1:30 PM EST

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: Re: A question for the folks running the IRI
Posted by Wayne Doenges on 05/03/2001 12:36 PM EST:

Wayne is correct.

At the IRI we are making these slight changes to how the game is played:

1. The top four seeds will pick their partners. Seeds 5-8 will not be auto-paired into an alliance.

2. Each alliance will only consist of 4 teams. Each of the top four seeds will only pick 3 partners. There are no “back-up” robots on these alliances.

3. Only one side of the field will be operated. FIRST graciously provided the electronics to us for this competition, but they only provided us with enough to run one side of the field. While this first alamed us, it is not that big of a deal, and it will make staging simpler

4. Since we are running only 5 seeding matches per team, we are NOT dropping the lowest score. Each team will have all of their scores count.

5. All teams will know what matches they are in during the seeding rounds. They will also know what color they are supposed to be and who else is in their alliance. Teams will be able to strategize well before their match is staged.

6. Right now, we have 27 teams. For 5 matches per team, 28 teams would be a better number to work with… evening out the number of matches. To alleviate this, we have a “placebo” robot. All this robot does is limbo under the center barrier and go to the end zone, not getting in any of the other robot’s way. This robot will contribute to the alliances score by being in the end zone, but it will not be ranked, therefore it cannot be seeded 1-4. This placebo is our robot from '99, TKO, without the arm.

We feel that these changes will make the competition run smoothly and will increase the level of play at an already highly competitive event. If attending teams have and “issues” with these changes, they need to contact me personally, and we will discuss the issue.

We will be going over all of these issues during the driver’s meeting at 8:30am, and we will review these issues during opening ceremonies.

Andy B.

Posted by Andy Baker at 05/03/2001 2:02 PM EST

In Reply to: Wayne is correct… AND some other slight changes at IRI
Posted by Andy Baker on 05/03/2001 1:30 PM EST:

: Wayne is correct.

: At the IRI we are making these slight changes to how the game is played:

: 1. The top four seeds will pick their partners. Seeds 5-8 will not be auto-paired into an alliance.

: 2. Each alliance will only consist of 4 teams. Each of the top four seeds will only pick 3 partners. There are no “back-up” robots on these alliances.

: 3. Only one side of the field will be operated. FIRST graciously provided the electronics to us for this competition, but they only provided us with enough to run one side of the field. While this first alamed us, it is not that big of a deal, and it will make staging simpler

: 4. Since we are running only 5 seeding matches per team, we are NOT dropping the lowest score. Each team will have all of their scores count.

: 5. All teams will know what matches they are in during the seeding rounds. They will also know what color they are supposed to be and who else is in their alliance. Teams will be able to strategize well before their match is staged.

: 6. Right now, we have 27 teams. For 5 matches per team, 28 teams would be a better number to work with… evening out the number of matches. To alleviate this, we have a “placebo” robot. All this robot does is limbo under the center barrier and go to the end zone, not getting in any of the other robot’s way. This robot will contribute to the alliances score by being in the end zone, but it will not be ranked, therefore it cannot be seeded 1-4. This placebo is our robot from '99, TKO, without the arm.

: We feel that these changes will make the competition run smoothly and will increase the level of play at an already highly competitive event. If attending teams have and “issues” with these changes, they need to contact me personally, and we will discuss the issue.

: We will be going over all of these issues during the driver’s meeting at 8:30am, and we will review these issues during opening ceremonies.

: Andy B.