A sad Good bye

Hello to the CD community,

Well first off I want to wish all the teams getting ready for the 2006 season good luck.

My FIRST life started in 2001 when I was a freshman in High School. I was dragged to one robotics meetings and from there I have been hooked. I graduated High School in 2004 and volunteered for the 2005 season and had a blast.

As the 2006 approaches I am faced with the dilemma of growing up. I work full-time at Universal Studio’s. I just grabbed a recent promotion into Management of the Security Department, with this brings limited time off. I also go to school full-time working towards a Criminal Justice degree. My ultimate career goal is to become a police officer and with this brings hoping to leave for the police academy in July. With all this going in my life brings little time for extra activities and for that I have to sacrifice.

Unfortunately my participation with FIRST was on the chopping block. This year I will not be able to volunteer or mentor a team. I will be at the FLORIDA regional for a couple hours each day I hope to watch some competition. As for the championship I don’t know if I will be able to make.

Like FIRST, when I first joined CD in 2003 I could not get enough and I still can’t. Since last years championship I have not been able to read and respond to CD like I used to. I miss you guys and once the 2006 game is named I hope to be around some on here to keep up to date. All the friends I have made through CD I cannot forget you guys. From Tytus’s crazy antics , to making bets with SteveW( who I still never wrote the paper for…sorry) and losing, to Beth making sure I am still alive after the hurricanes, and who cannot forget the web hugs, I will miss all of that. The CD community has brought me as many memories as the whole FIRST program has, and for that I am grateful.

To everyone as the new season starts good luck. I am not only excited to see the new game but to see what teams build this year. I don’t know what else to say this is one of the hardest good byes I have said since moving away for college.

But to everyone again Good Luck

Good luck Ryan,

CheifDelphi and FIRST will miss you.

I’m glad robotics has influenced you like this, and it is truly sad that you have no more time for FIRST. Hopefully FIRST will still be around when we retire and have tons of time to spare… :smiley:

Good luck, Ryan. It was fun working with you at the Florida regional last year.

I hope to be able to see you at this year’s event.

Best of luck, Ryan. Hope to see you at UCF.

Ryan, You are a one of the most dedicated worker I have worked with in my FIRST career. Those fun days/nights at Rodeo, regional, they were all worth it and I thank you for being a part of it. We owe you a big one for all you have done to 710, 1083 and the FIRST community. Don’t forget us and good luck. :slight_smile:

Ry Ry, don’t even think this means you’re going to get away from me on AIM! I’m gonna miss you!!! But I know that you’re going to be a good cop and in the long run that’s what matters. And yeah, I know you’re still gonna check the forums every once and a while… :wink:

Ryan:
You are one of the coolest people I’ve met while being in FIRST.
School and work and many other things well there isn’t enough time for all you want to do. Congrats on your job promotion and good luck with school!
You’ll do great things especially being a cop because you are a hardworker and very smart.

Hope to see you around! Good luck… and bless you.

Like Ryan, myself, I am going to take a hiatus from FIRST in general for a year or two. I have bills to pay, and working is the only way to solve this. I’m sadly going to be out of the limelight for a while, however…do not think I’m abandoning CD or FIRST. I may volunteer as a ref again, this year since I will have weekends off, but doubtful will be associated with a team this year. Good luck to all the teams this season, go 151 & 134!!!

Greg Perkins

First of all, congratulations on the promotion!

But about FIRST…I’ve taken hiatuses before, and it’s a tough thing to do. It’s especially tough when you’re not exactly coming from a directly related industry. There’s very little obvious work/FIRST overlap outside of engineering & science-based departments and companies, and helping out takes much more convincing, and energy. Good for you for sticking with it as long as you could, but it’s also good to know that your priorities are straight.

I dream of a day when FIRST is as well known as Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Scouting, or Habitat for Humanity. I hope to one day be able to pick out anyone and say “Hey, I’m volunteering with FIRST this Saturday” and instead of saying “Huh?” the reply is “Great, I’m glad you’re taking time out to change the life of a student.”

We’ll still be here when you’re ready to come back. Best wishes!

As has been said many times, you will be missed. I will not however accept the non payment of a bet. You will return to FIRST at some time because it is in your blood. I am from the Great White North. We have the famous RCMP. They always get their man. When you return I will collect. Until then, Enjoy where you are, keep focused and remember we are all just a click away. :wink:

Congradulations on the promotion and good luck with everything. I know we’ll see you back in FIRST eventually :slight_smile: Somehow, it’s hard to get away.

good luck hopefully youll be back in 07 or 08 so you can remind me to put my safety glasses on…

Ryan and Greg,
See ya down the road a ways. Good luck in all you do.

Ryan and Greg:

To both of you good luck. I hope everything goes well for both of you and I hope that all of us see you back in FIRST again when you have more time.

As most of you know by now, I’m joining the FIRST Hiatus club for at least this year too. Ive got way too much to do at school (like getting that degree) and I had to make some sacrifices…unfortunately FIRST was one of the sacrifices I had to make. Like Ryan, Ive been around for awhile too (2000, to be exact) and even though Ive tried to take hiatuses before, this year is the real thing.

Good luck to everyone this year and my fellow hiatus-ers and hopefully I’ll see you guys sometime in the near future.

Ryan,

You are a good kid (pfft, kid… I sound like I’m Baker’s age) and one of those that make FIRST worthwhile for mentors. Your enthusiasm is infectious, and helps to make this program fun. We’ll all be looking for your triumphant return.

Amanda