AC motor?

Hey guys, I figured this is the best place to find out. I have started to engineer something separate from robotics and was wondering if there is a motor that will plug into an electrical outlet, and how I can hook that up. Thanks

Washing machine motor. Clothes dryer motor. Dishwasher motor. Ceiling fan motor. Window fan motor. Oscillating fan motor. Furnace blower motor. Space heater blower motor. Air conditioner fan motor. Bathroom exhaust fan motor. Can opener motor. Garbage disposal motor. Well pump motor. Sump pump motor.

If you would tell us what that something is, we could provide more useful information.

There are tons of AC motors, but it might be tough to find one that plugs into a wall outlet and does exactly what you want it to do. If you’re looking for the motor to spin at a constant RPM, try looking at AC synchronous gear motors.

Motors from corded power tools. Large range of industrial single phase motors. Clock motors.

I

Just take a drill and put it on fast settings. Say lol when you find out the torque it has :smiley:

Tons of options, but many household appliances use DC motors and power them from DC thats generated by some sort of power supply.

This is because AC motors are difficult to speed control. They’re good for fixed speed operation (in say, a furnace blower, or a compressor for your fridge). The speed of an AC motor is related to the frequency of the AC current. PWM control like we use with DC motors in robotics applications doesn’t really work with AC motors.

Depending on your application, its unlikely an AC motor is what you want if simple control of it is your goal. In most cases its simpler to use a DC motor with a rectified supply. Keep in mind though, that high-wattage supplies are expensive. If your motor will be pulling more than single digit amps, DC supplies with enough gusto are costly.

In my day job, I work with many of the AC motor applications that Ether and others listed above. Let me know what you want an AC motor to do, and I will try to steer you toward a household appliance from which you might find a salvage motor to suit that.

Well… Depending on the duty cycle… Fashioning a dc supply can be much cheaper than purchasing a high amp rectifier.

Simply put, a uninterruptible power supply can support higher amperage output than it is rated for, but can only sustain it for a short period.

Make your own with a smart charger (battery tender) and automotive or marine battery, if you need 12v.

Furnace blower motors in units that have air conditioning are typically wound for two speeds.

The motor is needed to run a lead screw in order to lift up a 10-15 pound object. It is essential that the motor has a brake (it can’t be run manually), can be run in 2 directions, and moves slowly with high torque.

Thanks guys

A lead screw with 10-15 lbs is easy for an ac motor. Pretty much any from above work, but I can’t think of one that has a brake…

Maybe some sort of drill that locks after you let go? DC motors can do that no problem. My dewalt drill has it, and motor controllers most likely have a jumper. I’m not sure about ac, sorry

if you use the right lead screw, you will not need a break, as the lead screw will prevent back-drive.

I suggest you call which ever company makes the lead screw you are thinking about buying and figure out which pitch and start count is right for your application.

This is a problem I worked on two years ago (although I wanted back-driving in my case), and there’s a pretty quick and easy way to figure it out. Imagine the threads strung out in a straight line rather than wrapped around the axis of the screw. At that point it’s pretty simple to solve.

P,
Your specifications tend to work against AC motors. Braking and reversing are especially complex. Drill motors are special cases where they act more like DC motors. Many of them have screwdriver mechanisms that lock and also contain reversing switches. Generally, a transmission is coupled to the motor to obtain the functions you describe. To lift 15 lbs with a lead screw likely will take a very small motor. However, when I have a motor question, Rich is my goto guy.

Would it be simpler to use a DC motor and convert AC to DC? I really need a motor to plug into a standard household outlet.

You could use a computer power supply to generate the 12VDC at decent enough wattage’s for your application. 15lbs from a lead screw is not demanding very much.

You can use a Variable Frequency Drive and a 3 phase motor - that will do exactly what you want, including braking.

Of course, it will set you back $200 …

Examples:

VFD

Motor

Depending on what you have available, you could use a three-phase AC motor with a starter.
I’m not sure of the cost, but I’m sure there is a threshold at which the extra cost of that would outweigh the cost of the needed DC converter (Reason #1 why we don’t have DC motors on our farm, only AC)… and that for 15 pounds, you are much under that threshold.

I’ve hiijacked a UPS as a highish-amp testing DC power supply right now. You could do something simalar: just wire into the battery of it to power a CIM, so you have a high amount of juice in reserve but it is constantly recharging- this would work if you don’t need continuous use. You wouldn’t need to use a UPS; a simple battery charger should work.

For control of DC you should be able to do something as simple as the pseudo H-bridge in a Spike Relay… And with two or one switch instead of relays and signals.