Ack...computers are addictive

Ever catch yourself way after your bedtime oggling at computers you’ll never own? I just did :smiley:

http://store.sun.com/catalog/doc/BrowsePage.jhtml?cid=70636

Anybody wanna start up a collection fund to buy me the last computer there? :smiley:

useless post

buy me one of THESE: http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~56268,00.html

16,000 AMD Opteron’s drool

…it’s only $300,000,000 come on!

I’ve always been partial to IBM and Sun, but #%#%#%#% of that 16,000 processor system doesn’t look nice…

My dad’s office uses a zSeries. It’s nice :slight_smile:

*Originally posted by evulish *
**Ever catch yourself way after your bedtime oggling at computers you’ll never own? I just did :smiley:

useless post **

in theory you will own it- think about it- 10 years ago the maximum size for any computer’s hard drive was what, 700 kb? now it’s at well over 120 gb… you will own that computer- but only when it’s old and crappy. … Betcha can’t wait, huh?

10 years ago, I think hard drives were a tad bit larger :slight_smile: 700kb was in the 80’s. :smiley:

Yeah…but I get your point :slight_smile: Only 10k 1.8ghz CPU’s? Pfft…AMD’s new 1024-bit 100thz chip blows it out of the water. :stuck_out_tongue: (I couldn’t think of what was higher than a terahert :D)

*Originally posted by evulish *
**My dad’s office uses a zSeries. It’s nice :slight_smile: **

I saw a demo of one at LWCE… The highlight of my day.

They were spawning Linux instances, using User Mode Linux, once every 28 seconds, for the entire day. They had around 430 simultaneous instances running by the time we got there…

pff, the sun can’t do anywhere near the Red Storm’s 40 teraflops

*Originally posted by Matt VP *
**pff, the sun can’t do anywhere near the Red Storm’s 40 teraflops **

Well, seeing as though the “Large” Sun Fire 15K costs just a little over one hunderedth of the cost of the Red Storm, that kinda makes sense, doesn’t it?

This can be summed up in one word:

SO!!! :smiley:

I’m a little partial to the Cray T3E I have an account on. 1800 processors and 921GB of RAM aint bad. I’ve still sent it jobs that take over 24 hours to process, though.

*Originally posted by rbayer *
**I’m a little partial to the Cray T3E I have an account on. 1800 processors and 921GB of RAM aint bad. I’ve still sent it jobs that take over 24 hours to process, though. **

/me looks at his watch.

I guess it’s time for me to turn green with envy. Hmm.