Additional hardware list

Posted by Russell Pauley.

Coach on team #344 from Phoebus High School.

Posted on 1/29/2000 7:44 AM MST

I have a Q towards the reading of the Additional hardware list.  We called about a week ago but I am unsure if he explaned the Q correctly.  For example it says we are allowed Any length, up to 3'x3' of Extruded Fiberglass. is that one Item of extruded Fiberglass or are we allowed all of the extruded fiberglass that we want on the robot as long as it is not above 3'x3'.  I have this Q because is some places they say Any amount for example we are allowed Any amount, up to 1/8' thick of Fiberglass I see that as we are allowed as much as we want as long as it is not thicked then 1/8'.  

Thank you
Russell

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 1/29/2000 9:37 AM MST

In Reply to: Additional hardware list posted by Russell Pauley on 1/29/2000 7:44 AM MST:

My interpretation (which by the way has proven to be FAR from infallable, so you should really call Eric at FIRST, ext. 107) is that ‘extruded fiberglass’ refers to composite fiberglass & resin beams. These beams are allowed to be up to 3 inches by 3 inches in cross section (i.e. the cross-section must fit in a 3 inch square).

Where fiberglass is mentioned by itself and the limit is any amount up to 1/8 inch thick, I believe that they are referring to fiberglass mat (or fiberglass cloth) that is intended to be combined with resin to form a composite structure.

We used the 1/8 inch mat last year to form our body. However, there are other uses as well. One of the teams on the National Championship Alliance (Aces High team #176 as I recall) used the fiberglass cloth ‘as is’ sewing it into a floppy bag (recall that they tried to dye it blue, but fiberglass cloth is not the idea fiber to take a dye – it was a sort of light, greyish blue).

I suppose if you wanted to make a fiberglass wedding dress for robot that would be allowed also, provided that you used fiberglass cloth that was less than 1/8 inch thick.

By the way, this is not such an outrageous idea.

For on thing, the wedding dress could be a sort of advertisement to suitors that you are ready to walk down the isle if someone would only propose :wink:

A more practical use would be that a wedding gown’s train may provide a nice very place for an alliance parterner to ‘hang’ on :wink: All you’d need to do is avoid entanglement threats and you’d have a solid 10 points for your alliance!

Here comes the bride!!!

Joe J.

Posted by Lora Knepper.

Student on team #69, HYPER (Helping Youth Pursue Engineering & Robotics), from Quincy Public Schools and The Gillette Company.

Posted on 1/29/2000 4:05 PM MST

In Reply to: My interpretation… posted by Joe Johnson on 1/29/2000 9:37 AM MST:

We also used the fiberglass cloth as is for a basket. We just used the resin to glue it to a PVC frame. It worked quite well. Joe, all I have to say is that you have way too much free time to be thinking of these things :slight_smile: …shouldn’t you be out building another Chief Delphi masterpiece? :slight_smile:

Lora Knepper

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 1/29/2000 8:50 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: My interpretation… posted by Lora Knepper on 1/29/2000 4:05 PM MST:

I know that many of you will have a hard time believing it, but this is my OFF YEAR.

I am INVOLVED in the machine design, but I am not on the hook for it.

This year, our machine leaders are Mike C & Mike A.

I am ‘responsible’ for only a small piece of it and, since my piece is actually 99% done (built & all), I am the most relaxed I have been in years.

Now about Mike & Mike, that is another story :wink:

Don’t worry about Chief Delphi 5. She’ll be in battle condition soon enough.

Joe J.

Posted by Daniel.

Coach on team #483, BORG, from Berkeley High School and NASA Ames & UC Berkeley.

Posted on 1/29/2000 11:19 PM MST

In Reply to: This is my off year… posted by Joe Johnson on 1/29/2000 8:50 PM MST:

: Don’t worry about Chief Delphi 5. She’ll be in battle condition soon enough.

Let me guess. Jaws will drop? :wink:

Posted by Lora Knepper.

Student on team #69, HYPER (Helping Youth Pursue Engineering & Robotics), from Quincy Public Schools and The Gillette Company.

Posted on 1/30/2000 7:10 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: This is my off year… posted by Daniel on 1/29/2000 11:19 PM MST:

As always, I’m guessing! :slight_smile: