Allowed Computers and Internet Access

Does anyone know if we are allowed to use a computer other than the mini we got in the kit of parts to drive?

Also, we have that computer, but it does not have wireless internet capabilities. It has to be plugged into Ethernet to get any connections. We have already tried resetting the drivers and nothing happened. Does anyone know what we can do to try and fix this?

You can install the FRC Driver Station on any Windows computer or Windows VM (I do not recommend the VM) for use at competition. As for wireless this is not needed at events and recommended to be disabled, you just need to use the Ethernet port to connect to the FMS. The field creates the wireless network for you.

The directions to install the DS are found here: https://wpilib.screenstepslive.com/s/4485/m/13503/l/144150?data-resolve-url=true&data-manual-id=13503

I was just wondering about the wireless capabilities when we are practice driving. If we cannot connect to the robot then, we cannot practice drive. Thank you for letting us know about the other allowed computers though.

I was just wondering about the wireless capabilities when we are practice driving. If we cannot connect to the robot then, we cannot practice drive.

You can use any computer you want to practice driving. It just needs to be able to run the 2015 driver station. It is recommended to have a computer with wireless capabilities, but if not, you can drive while tethered(using a long ethernet cable).

Same for the competition. As long as you have wired network capability, you can use that computer for competitions. You do not need WiFi for competitions, and it is disallowed in the competition building.