Alternate Championship locations

I thought the ceilings were higher, but I guess I just didn’t look up last time I was there. <20’ in most of the building.

Chicago is appealing as a World’s location for the same reason it was appealing to the people who founded the city. It’s a natural transportation hub. A map of FRC teams shows definite concentrations. Michigan, Minnesota, New England. All are an easier trip to Chicago than Houston. Florida is about the same. Southern California, sorry.

I would like to think that issues like setting up pits would not run into union difficulties. But setting up field and infrastructure would probably be off the table for negotiations. If there is a future move to Chicago expect a return to logistically simpler fields. No more Steampunk castles!

Selfishly I’d like to see Chicago get this. Whether as a volunteer or as a spectator/emeritus mentor this would be way easier for me.

4 Likes

I don’t think DES has a large space tall enough to set up stands.

As an aside, the way the Stephens family runs that town makes a fascinating study in converting political power into private wealth in broad daylight.

2 Likes

First strongworks?
Or
First steamhold?

1 Like

Sorry, no direct insights for the venue. I only exhibited once (unrelated to FIRST) back when it was the Rosemont.

Not only is Chicago appealing for domestic travel (including highways), but it is also convenient for international travelers. As a destination city for travelers and conventions, Chicago is hard to beat when considering the combined effect of venue options, places to stay, transportation, and attractions.

Union labor costs are as real as the cost of FIRST salaries, ShowReady crew, and the costs FIRST incurs with other event costs. I agree union costs are also significant, but I don’t think union costs rise to the level of being a non-starter.

IMHO, the actual costs of the event boil down to the skill of the search committee to negotiate an acceptable balance between financial costs, FIRST priorities, funding, and personal costs to students. As Chicago rises in prominence as a player in the 4th Industrial Revolution, the push to enhance Career Technical Education in the secondary schools, the heavy concentration of higher education institutions, and the growth of large corporations (who, properly cultivated) could help sponsor a Championship, I think Chicago deserves serious consideration by the FIRST search committee.

8 Likes

You shoot 7 inches foam dodgeballs called mini boulders (oh no… Power cells) into the opposing alliances flying castle. In order to approach the flying castle you must breach ground and air defenses and takeoff (i.e. you can only shoot the mini boulders while not supported by the floor (you could hang on the existing castle pull up bars).

What a magical game that would be. Not sure what we do with the human player though.

5 Likes

Strap them to a roomba and they throw gears onto the field as extra obstacles.

3 Likes

As much as I would love World Champs in Ohio, we simply don’t have a building that will hold it. If the idea of splitting FLL, FTC, and FRC up was an option, the Greater Columbus Convention Center might hold one of the three, maybe FTC and FLL at the same time. But again, very very tight.

Our team extensively discussed this, as I posted in this thread (which is mostly filled with “Ohio is in the middle of nowhere” jokes, which aren’t wrong in this context :joy:)

The I-X Center on paper is listed as having a lot of square footage, but nothing that would work well for a Championship-style setup. Not to mention it is basically in the middle of nowhere so it’s car-dependant and hotel offerings are limited. (Hence why the jokes in the thread above are not completely irrelevant)

I still think FIRST buying an abandoned mall and converting it into a “Robotics Arena” with more than just FIRST operating inside it would be an interesting way to tackle this. There’s abandoned malls all over America, some for maybe around or less than the cost of renting out an entire convention center.

And we could have Champs in Ohio if FIRST did something similar to this. /s

Or, at least mostly /s.

Imagine if STEM organizations across the country came together to support this. There could be a Battlebots arena, an NHRL arena, VEX, and so on. Just something I’m throwing out there.

1 Like

Interesting thought, but I think this would require FIRST being run as a for profit business, not a non profit.

Those already exist. Battlebots has a permanent location in Vegas, and so does NHRL in Norwalk, Connecticut. Both of which are for profit.

It pains me to suggest as a Pirates fan, but what about Philly? It’s pretty big, has a lot of teams near it with FMA and Chesapeake district, and the convention center is big. Only problem I see is that it’s on the east coast, so hard for Western US folk.

Why would owning a physical location make them change from a non profit? They already own headquarters in Manchester and every Church/Temple/Synagogue is owned by a nonprofit. Not even to get into the nonprofits that are the major sports leagues.

2 Likes

The Philly convention center looks big enough but looks to lack the height for stands.

Houston is already a problem for western US folk, flying is flying, imo.