Alternate plaction tread types

Just wondering if anyone has looked into some of the incline conveyor belting surfaces other than the usual roughtop and wedgetop patterns. It’d be nice to have something with a bit more grip than roughtop, but that lasts longer than the standard soft-rubber wedgetop.

In particular, I wonder how well something like this might work:

I’ve also noticed that some places sell wedgetop in black SBR - does anyone know how this compares to the standard tan rubber stuff, in terms of grip and wear?

That belt material looks pretty awesome but I’d guess that you’d have to do some trimming of the “lugs” to allow your rivets to seat down flat against the base material (assuming you use rivets).

What outlets for this material have you found?

I haven’t enquired about pricing and available quantities yet (obv. if they’re only selling industrial quantities this is a non-starter), but you can find it in a catalog here:

Do you think this could be too “grippy” to turn on?

The only thing with more grip than roughtop is roughtop.

But seriously, I’ve seen some claim that the blue nitrile roughtop tread from mcmaster is much more grippy than the tan stuff andymark sells. I’ve even heard it gets grippy-er with age.
Also, the vexpro solid wheels dig in really well when they are new.

Specifically about the black sbr rubber:
It’s pretty soft. I’d guess about 40A. Would grip better than nitrile on a smooth surface, but not likely on carpet.

somewhat relevant:
1640 did friction testing on various common FRC wheel types, their results can be found here http://wiki.team1640.com/index.php?title=DEWBOT_VIII_Wheel_Friction_Coefficient_Testing

In the search for the idea wheel covering, We looked at bike tires. At a local high end bike shop they have about 70 different tires hanging up around the store. Took a piece of field carpet and tested tires reaction on carpet. Goldilocks problem. Too grippy and not grippy enough. Many would not allow static turning. Found 4 good candidates. Bought what we thought was the best. Took a worn down rough top covering and ground the rubber down to the nylon fabric. Bonded the cut up bike tire to the carcass. Results were very very good. There was some delamenation at the edges. We then sewed the edges together. This was an excellent solution from a wear and traction perspective.
We ran the tires at several off season comps and allot of driver practice. They wear like iron. Tremendous grip but can turn. We do not use them how ever. Too much work and require very careful construction. We settled on Andy Mark wheels for their ease of use in our design and cost. Quick and easy. Not the best wearing solution. We change our wheels out once this year.