Aluminium raw

Someone can tell me the best way to make a rack to the robot, im trying to find the best way to make a climber and im thinking of a aluminium raw, but where i am looks like the aluminium is different… idk exactly

I am not sure what your asking. What do you mean aluminum raw? You can buy aluminum in different shapes and aloys.

Generally the alloy used is 6061-T6 although the T part is not super important. If you plan on bending it you need 5052 because if you bend 6061 it will break.

Aside from that you can choose sheet or plate. The difference is plate is the name used after given thickness

You can buy I beams, H beam, square tube, angle or L shape, round tube, solid bar etc… the list goes on.

You can buy theses from various places depending on needs, cost, and time needed.

2 Likes

i mean rack man… i writed this wrong… sorry

I’m still not sure what you’re asking. How is the aluminum different? I see you’re in Brazil; are you referring to it being metric rather than inches, or something else? This shouldn’t make a major difference, unless you were planning to use one of the COTS climbers.

If you just want a single stage climber, you can get a length of square tube and an equal length of channel small enough to fit inside it. Fit a pulley in the top of the tube, suspended from one side. Drill a hole at the bottom end of the channel and add a hook at the top end. Put the channel inside the tube, open face to where the pulley is mounted. Make a loop of robust cord, tied off at this hole, passing over the pulley. Then, by rotating the cord, you can raise/lower the hook.

1 Like

You can also post your question in Portugese if it helps. I’m sure we can get it translated.

1 Like

Going to go out on a limb here and say you’re asking about a rack made from aluminum, as in a rack and pinion set, for climbing this year.

Are you asking for ways to make such a part? Or perhaps where you might buy one?

Echoing too what Brendan said above, feel free to post in Portuguese (or whatever your first language may be) and I’m sure a few people here would be able to translate that using google translate or similar resources.

1 Like

I haven’t used this method personally, but I know 1756 has done this on multiple robots to create a rack and pinon setup. They drill a series of holes in a piece of aluminum tubing to act as the rack, and drive it with a sprocket for the pinon.

2 Likes

okok, vamos lá, por algum motivo, usando cremalheiras (as famosas raws LOL) aqui no Brasil tem algum diferencial, parece que as peças ficam pesadas e tals, não sei ao certo, e queria ajuda nisso pois o robô está com muito peso, e as cremalheiras deixaram ele muito pesado

1 Like

I’ve added a translation (I used Google as I do not speak Portugese) below. I believe that it is heavy because it is made of steel and not aluminum. If that is the case, then I would recommend the design recommended by @Jake177 because you can make the parts instead of buying a rack. If I’m not mistaken, 1756 had one for their camera pole in 2018. So not sure how this would fare in a high-load situation like a climber.

Eu escrevi uma resposta em inglês, pois é minha língua nativa, e usei o Google Translate para esta. Acredito que seja pesado porque é feito de aço e não de alumínio. Se for esse o caso, recomendo o design recomendado por @Jake177 porque você pode fazer as peças em vez de comprar um rack. Se não me engano, 1756 tinha um para seu poste de câmera em 2018. Portanto, não tenho certeza de como isso se sairia em uma situação de alta carga como um alpinista.

2 Likes

thanks man

I don’t know enough portugese to respond, but yes - rack and pinions (or gear racks) are generally considered heavy. Each tooth in the rack has to be strong enough to carry the whole load in bending, so they have to be relatively big and there are a lot of teeth in a rack! [edit] And oh yeah what @wolly_efendi said - they tend to be steel (or plastic) and not aluminum

Roller chain makes an excellent alternative to a gear rack, and you can use it several ways.
In a loop:

In a straight line, looped over a sprocket

In a straight line, with the sprocket held tightly against it like a rack and pinion (this needs special care, and is weakest)

2 Likes

Here is an example of a chain and sprocket elevator design. As you can see, the chain is connected to the elevator to pull it up and down, and the sprockets turn the chain. They use a gearbox to power the bottom sprocket so its strong enough to lift the robot up.

(Translation below was done using Google Translate)

Aqui está um exemplo de um projeto de elevador de corrente e roda dentada. Como você pode ver, a corrente está conectada ao elevador para puxá-lo para cima e para baixo, e as rodas dentadas giram a corrente. Eles usam uma caixa de engrenagens para alimentar a roda dentada inferior para que seja forte o suficiente para levantar o robô.
(Tradução feita pelo Google Tradutor)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.