Aluminum Pneumatic Fittings

Our team would like to make new Pneumatic connectors out of aluminum rather than having the Brass fittings from the kit for weight. Now, I’ve looked in the rules, and at R66, I’d like some clarification on whether or not we could do this, I’ve seen people with custom PVC storage tanks so I know you can make your own pneumatic parts to an extent. Any clarification would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

If they have custom PVC storage tanks on their competition robots, the inspectors should have stopped the inspection on the spot. PVC isn’t safe for air storage, and those tanks almost certainly aren’t COTS. If it’s plastic and COTS with appropriate ratings, that’s another thing altogether–it fits the requirements.

<R65> To satisfy multiple constraints associated with safety, consistency, robot inspection, and constructive innovation, no pneumatic parts other than those explicitly permitted by the Pneumatic System Rules may be used on the ROBOT.

<R66> In addition to the items included in the KOP, pneumatic system items specifically permitted on 2011 FRC ROBOTS include the following items. All included items must be “off the shelf” COTS pneumatic devices rated by their manufacturers for working pressure of at least 125psi and used in their original, unaltered condition (except as required for assembly with other components).
Now, on to your question. If it isn’t a COTS pneumatic device with appropriate ratings, don’t use it. But if you can find a COTS source, and can get the parts in time, go for it (just make sure you have what you need to show that it’s COTS if asked).

You may also want to take a quick look at <R67-B>, which spells out allowed modifications to existing parts (of which there aren’t a whole lot).

Do you mean storage tanks like these?

http://www.pneuaire.com/reca44cuin.html

These are a great way to cut down on weight! we took off around 5 lbs from our robot this year from switching to these. R3P0 from 1504 put the specs as far as he could remember on here

weight .50 compared to .88 ( roughly from memory)
cu in 44 compared to 16

Also I believe mcmaster sells aluminum fittings. They are available. We are running them where we can.

Jeff,

No. Absolutely, definitely not:

<R66> In addition to the items included in the KOP, pneumatic system items specifically permitted on 2011 FRC ROBOTS include the following items. All included items must be “off the shelf” COTS pneumatic devices rated by their manufacturers for working pressure of at least 125psi and used in their original, unaltered condition (except as required for assembly with other components).

The “custom PVC storage” you speak of are COTS and rated for 125 PSI (500 PSI burst).

Making custom pneumatic components can be dangerous to you, your team, visitors in the pits, field personnel and spectators in the stands.

Please do not attempt this…

Regards,

Mike

You absolutely positively cannot make your own pneumatic parts.

Mcmaster-Carr has a full variety of aluminum pipe fittings that can replace any of the brass fittings in the KOP. The catalog page documents that the fittings are rated for 125psi, so print the catalog page and take it with you to inspection to show that they are in compliance.