Alumni, tell me about your experience getting, not getting, creating, or navigating FIRST scholarship opportunities.
I have one more series of questions for all you alumni (and anyone else with relevant experience).
Have you ever created (or tried to create) a scholarship (i.e. gone to an institution of any kind and asked for a scholarship which did not already exist)?
- If so, what type of organization did you approach (school, non-profit org, for-profit company, etc.)?
- Were you successful? What led to your success or lack thereof?
- Why did you feel inspired to create the scholarship? Were there a lack of appropriate scholarships for your major? School? Needs?
- Was the scholarship a one-time deal or did you create something that applies to others in the future?
Would you be willing to approach your school, a company, or non-profit organization and ask for a scholarship which is not already offered?
- What tools or information would you like going in to a meeting like this?
- What type of institution would you approach and why?
If you did something other than attended a four year university after graduating from FIRST (trade/technical school, two-year college, military service, straight to employment, etc.), were scholarship opportunities made available to you?
Essentially, if you have any anecdotes or information about scholarship availability, creating scholarships, or anything else relating to how FIRST assists alumni after graduation, please just answer below. If you have any information which you do not want to share with the public about your experience, please feel free to DM me and I will keep your information anonymous.
Thanks in advance for your help!