An idea how to get over barrier and tilt the bridge in one

My team having dismissed all my ideas I feel the need to get some verification whether they’re actually worthless.

I only have the picture left, my CAD got corrupted(i got .dwg though)

You hit the bump, the inertia and additional acceleration push the top wheel down giving you more grip, etc to get over the barrier efficiently. These should be mounted upwards in the robot. The spring keeps the assembly in upwards position under normal circumstances.

To get over the bridges, you mount these without the bumper in front and you attach a system that allows you to manually tilt the assembly. You get close to the bridge, start tilting the assembly down, the bridge gets tilted and you drive on.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11321&stc=1&d=1326304231

The picture attached is just a simple mock up. A couple of things are messed up on it but I think you get the idea. Please let me know what you think.

My team has been starting to design our robot and we are having issues as well with how to get over the bridges and the railing. I really like your idea and if it’s okay with you I’d like to show your idea to my team members.
Have you had lots of experience in robotic engineering? I’m a newbie this year and am learning lots of new things. :]

You have to have bumpers on all sides to cover all corners…

yeah but the rules say just the corners not all the sides or am i looking at it wrong

How high is that front wheel going to be? Keep in mind, if the bridge is balanced, it’s a foot off the ground. If it’s tilted the other way, it’s 2 feet off the ground!

Personally, I think many people are overestimating the difficulty of driving up the bridges. Being around for both Rack 'N roll and Breakaway, I’ve seen how easy it is to go up a ramp with a normal kitbot design. the biggest problem teams had in those years was bottoming out transitioning from the ramp to the horizontal elevated portion. That’s not a problem this year!

All three of these robots had more or less normal drivetrains, and that ramp is probably steeper than the bridge this year! http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/27516
(that’s my absolute favorite robotics picture of all time, btw!)

Has to be at least 8 inches coverage from each corner . . on each side.

Yes but you have to have 8 inches on each corner so unless you have your wheels more than 8 inches from the outside of your frame on each side they will be covered by bumpers.

also when the bridge is balanced it is 1ft off the floor…

[R27]

Robots are required to use Bumpers to protect all exterior vertices of the Frame Perimeter. For adequate protection, at least 8 in. of Bumper must be placed on each side of each exterior vertex (see Figure 4‑1, Figure 4‑2, and Figure 4‑3).

So you need bumper on both sides of each corner

The rules state you have to cover all exterior vertices (aka corners), and that you have to have a minimum of 8" of bumper on each side of the vertex (corner). For most teams, 8" of bumper will completely cover the frame in front of the wheels.

8" on each side of the vertex per 4.1.6 Bumper Rules

I like the concept. If I have understood your vision, additional benefits, unrelated to bump crossing, are (i) it could also be configured to drop the bridge, (ii) be used as an extended contact point in the key for fowl point opportunism and (iii) if a motor (ballast) will be at the arm end, the mechanism could double as CG fine tune for balancing.

Dan

I meant that the wheels be planted 8 in inward on both sides. Also the whole assembly would be longer than 1 foot perhaps. I haven’t thought this out completely but i believe there’s worth in the concept and it’s worth developing by someone.

If I remember the field tour videos (specifically episode 5) correctly the bridges will naturally return to their horizontal positions once there is no load on them, i.e., you won’t have to worry about the bridge being any higher than 12" off the ground.