Analysis of Regional Results

Posted by Jerry Fischer at 03/26/2001 6:12 PM EST

Engineer on team #56, RobbeXtreme, from Bound Brook High School and Ethicon, Inc. (J&J).

While I spent all day in a statistical analysis course I thought it might be interesting to analyze the scoring data from the regionals. The following table has the results listed in order of average seeding match scores by regional. Anyone care to comment on the large difference observed between the different events?

EVENT - Average Seeding Score

Midwest - 151
Mid-Atlantic - 141
Great Lakes - 139
New England - 130
Silicon Valley - 124
West Michigan - 119
NASA KSC - 116
Philadelphia - 112
Lone Star - 105
S. California - 100
Long Island - 95
NASA Langley - 85
New York City - 71

Posted by Al Skierkiewicz at 03/26/2001 7:02 PM EST

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Wheeling High & Rolling Meadows High and Motorola.

In Reply to: Analysis of Regional Results
Posted by Jerry Fischer on 03/26/2001 6:12 PM EST:

Include the dates of each competition, that might be one factor.
Al

Posted by Joseph Dushko at 03/26/2001 10:07 PM EST

Coach on team #145, T-Rx, from Sherburne-Earlville Central School and Procter & Gamble Norwich.

In Reply to: Re: Analysis of Regional Results
Posted by Al Skierkiewicz on 03/26/2001 7:02 PM EST:

: Include the dates of each competition, that might be one factor.
: Al

What was the make up of the teams at each event? I believe NYC had a lot of rookie teams. Also, some teams attended more than one regional, which could have contributed to higher seeding scores in subsequent events.

Posted by Kevin at 03/26/2001 11:05 PM EST

Coach on team #308, Walled Lake Monsters, from Walled Lake Schools and TRW Automotive Electronics.

Posted by Joseph Dushko on 03/26/2001 10:07 PM EST:

It might also be interesting to look at the average qualifying score of just the top 8 teams (teams guaranteed to continue to the elimination matches) and see how those varied with time (dates) and/or team experience (rookies?)

Posted by Ken Leung at 03/27/2001 3:48 AM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

Posted by Kevin on 03/26/2001 11:05 PM EST:

There have been so many people coming up with numbers these days…

Can I ask those people: What source did you use to come up with all the statistics?

I reason I ask is because I am more interested in looking at the original data, and I believe other people do too. It’s just that the original source of data provide a more solid background in looking at the numbers…

There are so many ways of understanding what the numbers mean, so any suggestion on how to analyze the data will be helpful too. Hopefully people who took statistic classes will be able to provide some useful insights in doing all these…

Thanks to everyone who came up with the numbers!

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 03/27/2001 6:30 AM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

In Reply to: so many statistics…
Posted by Ken Leung on 03/27/2001 3:48 AM EST:

Well, I can tell you I’ve been puling my numbers from the match results from the FIRST site (yes, after they corrected the data)…

…If you want to look at the original data, go ahead, but printing them out turns out to be around 14 pages long each time.

As for analyzing, I think the people that are responding to these posts are stating very good conclusions to why scores might be biased…

More numbers to come later :wink:

-Jessica B, #237

Posted by Al Skierkiewicz at 03/27/2001 9:59 AM EST

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Wheeling High & Rolling Meadows High and Motorola.

In Reply to: so many statistics…
Posted by Ken Leung on 03/27/2001 3:48 AM EST:

I was just looking through the FIRST site for statistics, scores and dates. It appeared on the surface that the lower scoring averages and final rounds occured in the earlier dates and increased as time went along. I took this to mean that teams were refining strategies, getting in more practice time and had at least the matches to test under fire the robot and the human players. I predict that the nationals will have higher qualifying averages and much higher finals scores. I expect the 710 score to fall by the wayside by sometime Saturday morning.
Al

Posted by Ellery at 03/27/2001 8:37 AM EST

Engineer on team #191, X-CATS, from Joseph C. Wilson High School, Rochester NY and Xerox Corporation.

In Reply to: Analysis of Regional Results
Posted by Jerry Fischer on 03/26/2001 6:12 PM EST:

Yes I think the major differentiator among Regionals are who the participants are.

The Higher scoring ones probably have less rookie teams. I know I was surprised to see at J&J NJ that our scores match to Match were way higher than the ones I’ve seen prior.

Ellery