AndyMark Spring Product Launch 2020

This is great!!! We have been able to find similar links for #35 chain in the past, but never for #25 chain (we found some sites that listed them, but when you called, they were not in stock and would only do high quantity special orders with long lead times).

We probably won’t use any on our 2020/2021 bot, but we may order some just to have some in our chain bin for the future. I know we would use these if we had an elevator.

Question - what size and spacing are the holes in the #25 links?

They are sized for #6 hardware on a 16mm (or 5/8") spacing. This is a common hardware size and spacing in FTC and fit best with the size of the link itself.

The #35 links are 1" spacing with clearance for #10 hardware.

These are super cool. Would have loved them in our filngapult days.

2 Likes

Sidenote for anybody cruising by: 4-40s through 25 links have the nice advantage of being a “weakest link” if you have an elevator issue: headbutting the scale, incorrect calibration, comms borks something, etc. I’d much rather quickly replace some 4-40 screws than deal with snapped links. Not much of an issue for other chain applications though.

We usually used 3-4 SHCSs and could send ~500 lbs through it no problem.
The trick is to have the screws exposed on the rear of a bracket, as you’ve sheared the heads off, and a pair of needlenose pliers can easily remove the setscrews you created.

5 Likes

Oh that’s fun. Not only will it make elevators easier, but it could enable fun things like chain-as-rack, aka “pin gear” drives: https://tsubakimoto.com/power-transmission/sprocket/unit/pin-gear/

8 Likes

What are the chances that you guys might also stock a link like this one in #25 size with either two holes in a single tab (like is shown in the picture), one hole in the tab or even two tabs (on the same plate):

chain link

Having the ability to mount to the “side” of the chain loop as well as to the “outside” of the chain loop gives the students more options for designs. We have been able to source these in #35 size but have not been able to find them for #25. So this would be a great accessory for chain systems.

Thanks!

6 Likes

Hey y’all,

It’s been a little while. We have some new things to show you!

Waterjet Cutting Services

This counts as a product, right?

AndyMark strives to provide customers with innovative parts and services. Many customers don’t have access to an affordable, timely waterjet cutting service. We’ve partnered with Waterjet Cutting by 221 Robotics to provide simple cutting services of sheet aluminum and polycarbonate. Customers will be able to choose their material, upload a DXF drawing, choose how quickly they want parts delivered, and the parts will be on their way.

We’re starting really simple with this. We’re only selling the waterjetting services - we are not selling finishing services as part of this new endeavor. This means that parts will be sent WITHOUT deburring or sanding, so they may have sharp corners and edges. Most parts will require some post-processing by the customer. For bearing holes, customers will need to provide finishing reaming or sanding to get final bearing diameter.

We’re excited to make this service really accessible to teams. We hope that services like this will help teams overcome issues of not having direct access to custom machine 2D shapes like gearbox plates, custom gussets and more.

FIRST Tech Challenge Ultimate Goal Field Sets

Since 2013, AndyMark has been the official supplier of competition-spec FIRST Tech Challenge Game Sets. We launched pre-orders a few weeks ago, but wanted to make folks who may not be super familiar with FIRST Tech Challenge (yet) or are looking to start a new team, aware that you can reserve your spot in line now to get your game sets as soon as possible after kickoff. All non-Program Delivery Partner orders will begin shipping the Monday after kickoff, September 14, 2020. Orders will be fulfilled in the order they were received.

Note: These kits do not include the Field Perimeter (am-0481b) or Soft Tiles (am-2499). For those getting started, we’ve made Starter and Premium accessory sets available to help get you rolling to have a competition spec field at home or in your shop!

Throughout the summer, we’ve also worked hard on our never-ending backlog to get random hardware on our shelves (used in other products available.) There is a lot of new hardware available. As always, keep an eye on our new products page to keep up to date on which new products we’re offering!

Stay safe and healthy!

Sincerely,
-Nick

24 Likes

Wow Andymark has some really cool things I wanna try out now.

I like the chain attachments. Anything for belts?

In the past, teams I’ve been on have made plates that clamp onto the belt between the teeth. For mechanisms that don’t travel around a pulley, it’s an option (and one that could be fabricated with their waterjet service now, I suppose).

That said, it’s also a far more niche application compared to chain attachment links.

Sorry to spam the Andymark product page with a competing vendor’s product, but there is a simple belt attachment product sold as part of the Actobotics product line (sold by ServoCity) for use with XL belts that are common in FTC. This design could be easily adapted for the more common belt types used in FRC.

Maybe AndyMark would consider offering a similar product for 3mm GT2 and 5mm HTD belts. Seems like it would be simple enough to develop something like this.

Note - these attachments would not allow continuous travel of the belt (you would stop when you hit the pulley) so the use case is quite limited.

Also note: The XL belts have a 0.200" pitch which is 5.08mm, and a 0.375" (9.5mm) width, so these plates may work with the 9mm wide 5mm pitch HTD belts (I have never tried).

Any info on what material alloys and thicknesses will be available for waterjetting?

Adding on to the previous message – how much would waterjet services cost?

If it’s anything like the local shop, it’ll depend on what part you’re talking about.

Right now we’re planning to stock several common thicknesses of aluminum in 5052 (0.063, 0.125, 0.188, 0.25, 0.375) and at least two thicknesses in clear polycarbonate.

These are subject to change based on demand.

The pricing will be instantaneous and shown to the customer after they upload their DXF.

Pricing for waterjet cutting depends heavily on material thickness and the total length of the cut. Thicker and longer cuts are more expensive.

5 Likes

.090 6061/7075/whatever tends to be pretty common as well from what I’ve seen.

.090 6061/7075/whatever tends to be pretty common as well from what I’ve seen.

Whoops…missed 0.090”. We have it!

1 Like

I’m materials-dumb. I know 5052 is more commonly used for bent sheet metal, but what would be the primary differences were I to use 5052 plates in places where I currently use 6061?

1 Like

The biggest thing you’ll notice is going to be a 30% lower yield strength (193 MPa vs 276 MPa). All of the other important mechanics properties (density, Young’s Modulus, etc) are pretty much the same

[source/source]

2 Likes

We chose 5000 series as a good compromise. It is conducive to sheet metal designs/bending and is comparable “enough” in strength to 6000 series that most FRC level designers would never notice the difference.

5000 series plate is also cheaper in general which will make the custom waterjet service less costly.

Keeping just one alloy in stock is also much easier for us logistically which will further help reduce costs.

15 Likes

In addition to the reduction in yield strength @AriMB mentioned, 5052 is far more amenable for parts which you will bend into a bracket, especially if you are making a small radius bend.