Animation w/ Radiosity

I’ve got a question…

I’m trying to animate a scene while using the Advanced Lighting feature - Radiosity. But it will only calculate one frame at a time… how do I calculate the entire sequence while using Radiosity?

I imagine it will take it a long time but i’m just stuck on how to do it… Thanks

Theres been a couple threads that have already addressed the issue of Radiosity in videos.

I would suggest you not use Radiosity in animation because you tend to lose the quality in compression that you get from the extra processing time. Radiosity also calculates for each individual frame, not for the entire sequence, so you tend to get flickering in the animation unless you have the quality turned up significantly (and because it is exponential, turning it up to those levels could leave you at a couple hours, if not more per frame). Instead of using Radiosity, I would experiment with placing different lights to mimic the effects of Radiosity.

ahh yes. a reoccurring topic in these forums.
From my own experience, radiosity is not the way to go.
There are various rendering solutions you can use.
For example, for the Safety animation my team did, we used a Mental Ray shader called Ambient/Reflection Occlusion shader to generate Global Illumination(GI).
Here’s a good link that explains more about the shader:
http://www.christopher-thomas.net/pages/free_tutorials/tut_ambient_occlusion_shader/ct_tut_mentalray_ambientocclusion_shader.htm

Or

you could always use skylight + an HDRI image.

These two are what I’m used to. I would recommend Final Gather, but I can’t stand waiting for the looong calculations…

Good Luck!

The solution that 3ds max 6 offers is to calculate radiosity for one frame only, when you try to render a sequence they will loose all the data…

-One way to do it is to simulate the radiosity by placing lights targeted in a object…

Thanks for the wonderful responses… I wasn’t to begin with but now I can see what you are saying…

A few more questions though…

For example, for the Safety animation my team did, we used a Mental Ray shader called Ambient/Reflection Occlusion shader to generate Global Illumination(GI).

What type of computer did you use to render out your safety animation, did you network render? and how long did it take for each frame or series of frames to render?

Thanks again

For us, rendering was pretty quick. We were able to render 1000+ frames in two 1/2 days. It all depends on how you set up your scenes. On some of our scenes, I first rendered the background and then used that as the Environment Background. Bascially, only the objects that need to be rerendered are rendered and not the background. I’m not sure if i’m clear enough. For example, in my team’s animation, I first rendered the wall and table with nothing on it, I saved that as an image file and then used that as the background. I then unhid everything and rendered that. This way, rendering is much faster; we averaged about 1min per frame.

Because Mental Ray does not allow net rendering with the demo, we had multiple computers render certain portions (ranges) of the same scene. This is possible since we output format is in targas.

Lol, One mistake I made was watching 30-1hour renders… for some of the scenes, I had the Sampling at 4min;16max. It would’ve taken us a week to finish rendering… But I saved time by lowering the sampling.

Overall, the average time it took to render a frame was about 10-15mins.

We had 4 main PCs that rendered the majority of the animation. A 3.0ghz (HT), 2.6, 2, and 1.8ghz.

I hope I’ve helped :slight_smile:

Happy Animating

I’m still having some trouble with this shader… is there any sort of instructions you know of that would be able to help me out getting this shader setup… I checked out the link you gave me but that just gives me sample 3ds files it doesn’t let you know how to set it up.

Thanks