Answers on the Florida Setup

Posted by Nate Smith, Student on team #74, Holland FIRST Robotics, from Holland High School and Haworth, Inc…

Posted on 4/1/99 6:16 PM MST

Sorry for the cross-posting, but i thought that would be the quickest way to get the info out to everyone…

I just got an e-mail from Lori answering most, if not all, of our questions on the setup in Florida…

There will be 2 stages, each with 2 fields on it.
The qualifying matches will begin at 6:30pm Thursday evening April
22…and continue through Friday and Saturday morning to ensure that
everyone gets 6 matches. The finals will be the top 16 seeded teams…then
choosing their alliance…for a total of 32 teams…then 16 other teams
will be chosen…details to follow on how that will be done. There will
be a total of 48 teams in the quarter finals…playing on 2 stages until
the finals…which will be played on the ‘big’ stage.

Posted by P.J. Baker, Engineer on team #177, Bobcat Robotics, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells.

Posted on 4/2/99 9:21 AM MST

In Reply to: Answers on the Florida Setup posted by Nate Smith on 4/1/99 6:16 PM MST:

Q matches on Thursday night alone will not make up the difference. Assuming they stayed on schedule in Ypsi (those of you who attended, help me out), there were 89 Q matches in a little more than 8 hours of actual matchplay time. If the same schedule is followed, it is possible to play 178 Q matches at Epcot in the same amount of time. By my figuring though, there will need to be 330 Q matches if every team is to get 6. 220 bots X 6 matches each = 1320. Divide this by 4 'cause there are 4 bots per match, and you get 330 Q matches. That’s almost twice as many as the 178 matches that can be run in 8 hours. My point in all of this is that matches on Thursday night alone will not be enough. I expect that there will also be an evening session on Friday, and perhaps ealier starts on Friday and Saturday morning. This will certainly cramp the style of people who were planning to get into the parks for a while, but I’m with Joe J. on this one (especially since this is my first year of FIRST), and don’t plan to see much of anything but robots until the dust settles on Saturday. See you all down there!

Later,

P.J.

Posted by Mike Kulibaba, Student on team #88, TJ², from Bridgewater-Raynham Regional and Johnson and Johnson.

Posted on 4/2/99 4:34 PM MST

In Reply to: Florida Setup posted by P.J. Baker on 4/2/99 9:21 AM MST:

Since their are going to be 2 stages, that means 8 teams can go at one. Meaning:

220 teams Divided by 8 teams going at once(27.5)Then times that number by the 6 qualifying matches for each team and you get 165 qualifying matches. But that is if i did my math correctly and I might not of!

Mike Kulibaba TJ² Team 88

Posted by Jerry Eckert, Engineer on team #140 from Tyngsboro, MA High School and New England Prototype/Brooks Automation.

Posted on 4/2/99 4:41 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Florida Setup posted by Mike Kulibaba on 4/2/99 4:34 PM MST:

: Since their are going to be 2 stages, that means 8 teams can go at one. Meaning:

: 220 teams Divided by 8 teams going at once(27.5)Then times that number by the 6 qualifying matches for each team and you get 165 qualifying matches. But that is if i did my math correctly and I might not of!

Your math is right, but the logic is wrong: there are only four teams
in each match, not eight.

Posted by Greg Mills, Engineer on team #16, Baxter Bomb Squad, from Mountain Home and Baxter Healthcare.

Posted on 4/2/99 5:08 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Florida Setup posted by Jerry Eckert on 4/2/99 4:41 PM MST:

: : Since their are going to be 2 stages, that means 8 teams can go at one. Meaning:

: : 220 teams Divided by 8 teams going at once(27.5)Then times that number by the 6 qualifying matches for each team and you get 165 qualifying matches. But that is if i did my math correctly and I might not of!

: Your math is right, but the logic is wrong: there are only four teams
: in each match, not eight.

Once again FIRST has responded to our requests and devised a method to give each team at least six times on the court and 48 teams are now going to the dance. While we all owe our thanks to the FIRST organization, I am even more impressed by the efforts that this new format will require of the volunteers. The folks that put on the show will now really be in for a alot of work. The show that goes off without a hitch would not be possible without a tremendous effort by the behind the scenes people. Lori, I don't know the names of all the wonderful folks involved, but please let them know that the teams really appreciate all the extra efforts to make this event even more special for us. It doesn't matter if you work for FIRST, DEKA, or are just willing to help, there are thousands of students and Engineers that are going to benefit from your hard work.

It only seems that we forget about you guys,

Thanks again!!

Posted by Peter VanWylen, Student on team #107, Team ROBOTICS, from Holland Christian High School and Metal Flow Corp…

Posted on 4/5/99 8:11 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Florida Setup posted by Greg Mills on 4/2/99 5:08 PM MST:

:FIRST will have two matches going at the same time on the tandem sets of courts. So even though the number of matches is high it will take half the time.

Actually, there will be 4 times as many matches, and they will go twice as fast. Still to slow. It will be interesting to see how FIRST pulls this one off in FL.

-Peter

Posted by Jerry Eckert, Engineer on team #140 from Tyngsboro, MA High School and New England Prototype/Brooks Automation.

Posted on 4/2/99 4:45 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Florida Setup posted by Mike Kulibaba on 4/2/99 4:34 PM MST:

: Since their are going to be 2 stages, that means 8 teams can go at one. Meaning:

: 220 teams Divided by 8 teams going at once(27.5)Then times that number by the 6 qualifying matches for each team and you get 165 qualifying matches. But that is if i did my math correctly and I might not of!

Your arithmetic is correct, but the logic is wrong: there are only four
teams in each match, not eight. This means your result has to be
multiplied by two, yielding 330 – the same number P.J. came up with.

- Jerry

Posted by Mike Kulibaba, Student on team #88, TJ², from Bridgewater-Raynham Regional and Johnson and Johnson.

Posted on 4/2/99 8:46 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Florida Setup posted by Jerry Eckert on 4/2/99 4:45 PM MST:

I see what I did wrong I think, even though we have 330 qualifying matches their will only be 165 on each stage to cut the time in half. So even though we are having 330 matches it will only feel like 165 because of the two stages. Good luck to everyone in Florida

Mike Kulibaba Team 88