Any Aussies near Melbourne that can help with personal request?

My son (Jackson, Alum 1918) was in Australia on a once in a lifetime trip and bought 2 snow globes, which he collects. After researching it, he thought he could travel with them, but customs confiscated them.

I am looking to see if there is anyone that could help me out. I would like to buy replacements and have them shipped to the US.

One of them is a lantern from Queen Victoria Market Stalls, the other is a Koala with gold leafs from the Koala Conservation Reserve on Phillip Island.

Let me know if you think you can help!

13 Likes

Were they confiscated by customs or TSA (or AU-equivalent of TSA)?

if it was TSA, mailing would work; if it was customs, I think they’d be likely to be confiscated again.

TSA I believe. It was a domestic flight between Melbourne and Sydney. It was because they aren’t allowed in carry-on because of the qty of liquid. He was already well past bag checks, so he couldn’t transfer them to checked bags.

1 Like

That really sucks, I’m sorry that happened.
Usually you are allowed to take any quantity of liquid onboard a domestic flight here, however, it does unfortunately have an exception that isn’t widely advertised:

Source: Travelling with powders, liquids, aerosols and gels

I’ll certainly post this thread on the FIRST Aus discord server and let you know how it goes.

I will also be heading down to Melbourne for the Melbourne Robotics Tournament next weekend and will spread the message there!
Unfortunately I wont get time to hunt them down myself while I’m there, otherwise I would.

I’ll let you know if I manage to get anyone onboard!

1 Like

Thanks. Cost is not a significant issue, especially after the amount the trip as a whole cost. He was super sad because he purposely didn’t buy a bunch of random stuff, so he only bought these two items and they both were confiscated… So being the good parent that I am, I would like to make this happen. :heart:

8 Likes