Any swerve defense bots out there?

I’ve heard that a benefit to swerve drive can be that it’s easier to deal with defense, so you’d think that you could counter that advantage with a swerve defense. So I was wondering if there’s any teams that use swerve drive that play primarly as defense bots.

They probably don’t play primarily as a defense bot but 2640 played phenomenal defense for our alliance during the playoffs at the UNC Asheville District Event. They played what we called “light defense”, which isn’t as physical as defense typically goes in this game, but boy was it effective. With that swerve drivetrain, they were able to effectively get in other robots’ way slowing down their cycle times severely.

3 Likes

4907 was a great defence bot from Ontario that used swerve!

1 Like

2767 was playing defense in Curie finals, and they were great at it. Not that it’s what they did “primarily” but it was a good demonstration of what a well-driven swerve defender can accomplish.

8 Likes

I think typically any team that’s building a good swerve also has the capabilities to build good enough mechanisms to support scoring.

5509 played good defense with their swerve drive at MSC, in Dow division. Their defense was a major factor in our alliance’s advancement to Finals.

2 Likes

Don’t know about primarily but 3082 played some good defense.

6 Likes

2191 was pretty good in FMA

3 Likes

2910 has got to be my favorite defensive robot

10 Likes

2910 holds 973 to 4 game pieces the entire match while still managing to score 5 game pieces themselves. Amazing

2 Likes

1899 is a very strong defense robot out of the PNW. Very surprised to see their early exit at DCMP and CMP.

3 Likes

Seconding 1899’s defensive abilities, they were great at continuing to get in the way of robots because of their swerve and made it to DCMPs through their defense

3 Likes

Can confirm that they shut down an entire half of the field against us. Two reasons. 1 (and by far the largest reason): We could not push swerve and #2: We were scared of getting entangled with them because their elevator kept bouncing outside their frame perimeter. Refs only called one of the about 10-15+ G10’s, but I’m sure that if the refs called it right and forced a third match, 2640 would have come in the next match with their elevator ziptied and duct taped to stay inside the frame, and while that would’ve prevented them from scoring game pieces, would have made them a legal and effective defense-bot and shut us down in almost the same way to give your alliance the win.

A couple other examples of great swerve defense are 900 at the 2017 NCCMP, and 2834 on Curie this year.

1 Like

4391 has done it a few times

Thanks! It started out of necessity when we ran into issues with our superstructure and intake. Took us some time to get everything dialed in perfectly. We realized over time that the agility advantage coupled with Minnesotan unfamiliarity with swerve gave us a leg up in playing defense. I’d say North Star SF2-1 and SF2-2 are probably when we peaked during that event, playing defense on 2175 (love you 2175 :heart:).

We did continue playing defense at champs, especially when we knew we couldn’t keep up with the cycling ability of our alliance partners. Some decent examples were QM51 and QM73.

The main takeaway was that it was very very difficult to push a team with a two-speed tank drive / WCD with majority traction wheels. For those, zone denial was more effective than brute force “aggressive defense”. It’s a fundamentally different defensive style. Having the option to turn all wheels to face the center and become very difficult to push (we call it SuperStop) was also good, but we found that using our agility to harass the opponent was more effective.

1 Like

Don’t know if they consider themselves a dedicated defense bot, but I’d say that team 3536 Electro Eagles has the swerve defense thing down. Worked really well with us at the FiM state championship.

1 Like

Seconding this. 2191 played very nice defense, and they had a swerve.

2 Likes

Thanks for the love! If anyone watches our matches, we were most on our game at Seneca. There were some mechanical related consistency problems at Westtown and DCMP.

1 Like

Well driven swerve bots can be a real defensive threat. At the PCH district championship we picked up team 7427 who did a great job playing clean defense for us. We really caught a lot of opposing teams off guard with the selection too.

there were some insistence where 2910 and 2767 played defense and whenever they did it was very effective.

2 Likes