Anybody submitting a safety animation?

Wow - tight deadline (Dec. 15)! Who is submitting a “Care Enough to Act” animation entry? I think we’ll give it a try, but it won’t be pretty…

We’re trying but as you said -tight deadline.

Animations are due Dec. 15?

Aw… I wanted to try that this year, too =\

No, this is only a practice animation, the real deal starts in January.

I wish our team could submit one, but I don’t have time, and currently we’re looking to build an animation computer, so I’m concentrating more on that currently.

I estimate about 1/3 of the FIRST teams participate in the aniamtion competition and I expect less than half of the teams to complete the safety animation.

We were trying to get one done but as everyone else said, there wasn’t enough time, however if we are notified sooner in the future, maybe we could pull something simple together - especially considering how often we meet compared to the real season.
Eric

448 is submitting one, just having a bit of trouble with audio, but a very basic animation is already done. Anyone know the codec requirements/specs for video/audio? I have it at 720*420, I sure hope thats right :expressionless:
Also, do we need to have the title screen like for the visualization awards? This was pretty darn vague, unless I missed a huge part of the email…

Greetings Teams:

In conjunction with Autodesk starting to ship this season’s software, FIRST is pleased to announce an animation contest to encourage teams to use the 3ds max 7software to develop their skills. This should be good practice for this season’s Autodesk Visualization Award submissions!

The theme of the contest is “Care Enough to Act.” Animations must focus on one of the following behaviors:

• No running or horseplay
  • Proper lifting and transportation of robots
  • Always wearing safety glasses
  • Housekeeping and work environment
  • Safe tool usage practices
  • Proper battery charging practices
  • Robot energy storage and pinch points.

The animations should be 15 to 30 seconds long (submissions longer than 30 seconds will not be considered) and must conform to all the following guidelines:

• Entrant must be a fully registered team participating in the 2005 FIRST Robotics Competition
  • Limit one (1) entry per team. Please identify each entry with the team number and name
  • A completed and clearly legible Entry Form and Autodesk Archive Consent and Release Authorization Form (available at the URL below) must be submitted as follows:one completed copy of eachform must be mailed to FIRST by Monday, December 13, 2004 (mailing information for both forms available on the Entry Form), and one copy of each form must be uploaded on Streamline by December 15, 2005 by 12:00 noon EST.
  • The animation must be posted on Streamline by Wednesday, December 15, 2004 12:00 noon EST.

Important: Teams can use last year’s (3ds max 6) or this year’s (3ds max 7) software.

Submissions must be made on line at http://projectpoint.buzzsaw.com/client/FIRST. Please note you will need Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP and Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.01 or later to access the site.

The winning entry will be highlighted during the FIRST Kickoff on January 8, 2005. FIRST will also select one (1) animation from each category above to show at events during the season.

If you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected]. Good Luck to all!

Go Teams!

You do have to identify yourself somehow, so I am assuming you do need the title screen.

My team is entering. Time is a little tight but I think we will get it off. Does anyone know if the credits count as part of the 30 seconds?

Is anybody else havinf trouble logging onto the streamline site? I cannot seem to get logged on?

It looks like about 25 teams made the deadline. I downloaded 5 just for fun. They all looked pretty good, but Team 340’s entry looked awesome.

340’s was nice, but 1573’s is far better…
They must have a very experienced animator, I must investigate O_O

Who won the safety animation this year? Is it posted?

Team 1446
Working together makes it better

We (Team 342, Charleston, SC) won the Autodesk “Care Enough To Act” safety animation contest. Here’s a link:

www.tridenttech.edu/team342/animation

We were very surprised and very happy when we saw the announcement at the kickoff. I honestly thought some of the other entries looked better than ours. I guess Autodesk/FIRST thought our entry was best at conveying shop safety.

Now our team leader is expecting us to win the AVA. Yikes!

Autodesk has always been more about the content of the message than aesthetics. Thus many a good looking animations have gone unrewarded.