Anyone else get those annoying virus warnings?

i constantly get these e-mails: If you download the screen saver with budweiser frogs in it don’t open it, just delete it immediately, you’re computer will die, all your computers are belong to us. well not quite like that, but i was thinking to myself, “hey dave, how will i know if it has frogs in it if i don’t open it?”, the point is, has anyone ever actually seen anything like that wipe out a computer?
–Dave
Insanity is relative.

“Like olympic medals and tennis trophies, all they signified was that the owner had done something of no benefit to anyone more capably than everyone else.”
-Catch 22

In days of old, when knights were bold, and toilets weren’t invented, you left your load upon the road and went along contented

never heard of it, although if i get an email like that, i will delete it, cause i just spent all day redoing my operating systems. literally installed about 8 OS’s (including when i reinstalled it cause it didn’t come out right the first time, or the second…). if my system gets hosed now, i will seriously rip someone’s head off. If it got hosed 6 months from now, well, i’d probably be happy, cause within 6 months i destroy a computer. :smiley:

my advise though, if you see something with frogs as a subject, DON’T OPEN IT! even if it’s from your best friend/father/mother/brother/sister/grandfather/grandmother/aunt/uncle/arch enemy/that annoying kid down the block/etc. the list goes on. :smiley: basically, don’t open any attachments unless you know exactly what it will contain. heck, if your not sure, email the person back to confirm what’s in the attachment. never hurt to be safe.

i always delete stuff unless i know who it’s from, but people still send me these stupid virus warnings. one time, i got this message from some random guy that said it was some cool program, and it was something like bob’sprogram.txt.bat and i was like hmmm, a .bat file, does someone think i’m that dumb? so i sent it back to the guy, but yeah, i do delete them, i was just wondering if anyone else got all those stupid warnings, most of 'em are hoaxes anyway. my mom gets that crap all the time, i’m like ‘that’s a bunch of crap’ … hehe
oh, and my quotes were for comical value only, i don’t talk to myself, and if i did i certainly wouldn’t say that, or refer to myself on a first name basis… just so ya know
–Dave
Insanity is relative.

“Like olympic medals and tennis trophies, all they signified was that the owner had done something of no benefit to anyone more capably than everyone else.”
-Catch 22

In days of old, when knights were bold, and toilets weren’t invented, you left your load upon the road and went along contented

Most virus warnings usually originate in the information systems department of a major company, who has just had an infection with some of their PC’s and wants to contain the virus on their computer network. If the message looks legitimate then I don’t think it’s a bad idea to take a look at what the virus does. I keep my Norton virus definations up to date and I’ve never had any virus trouble.

Let me refer you to the Symantec Virus Hoax page : http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html

Most of these hysterical warnings - they are in ALL CAPS, they warn of dire consequences (your hard drive will be inserted in parts of your body not intended for electronic components!!!), and they ask you to “send this warning to EVERYONE YOU KNOW!” - are just baloney. They come from frustrated individuals with an insufficient work load, who need to receive a swift kick, and then be handed a broom and told to get to work.

Don’t pass this stuff on, and if you get one you haven’t seen before, check out the hoax pages - you’ll probably find it there.

Yeah, I never get many of those though. I guess these people have nothing better to do then see how far their silly chain letter can go.

My sister and her friends have some obsession with fowarding everything they get to everyone they know.
I made her take me out of her addressbook after I got the third virus fw’ed from her.

At least she dosn’t open them when Norton says its a virus.

I just get new virus definitions every week and don’t worry about the new virus, but let norten deal with them.

Works good so far.