Anyone received their EDUs already?

Ours is coming in tomorrow. Pretty nice. :slight_smile:
Anyone playing with it already?

Our team’s edu is supposed to get here on Thursday

We got our 2004 EDURobot Controller today!

Hooked it up to an RC controller and all works well, now we need to tackle programming. Shouldn’t be too bad :slight_smile:

God my school district hasent even fronted up the money for it (stupid rich ppl :wink: ) how do ya’ll like the new controllers?

got it. Havn’t had time to mess w/yet.

Received ours and tried it out. At first, I didn’t think that you could run it without the hobby RC equipment, but then read that as soon as it is powered up, the code begins executing. This would simulate an autonomous mode.

Hooked up a potentiometer to the analog in and set “pwm01 = IO1;” in the “user_routines.c” and was off and running (C is case sensitive so be careful). Cool little box!! Those guys at Innovation First make the coolest stuff, and their documentation is wonderful too. What would we do without those guys???

how exactly would i go about getting this into autonomous?..cuz i dont have an hobby R/C at the moment…and i need to learn the new code

We just got ours,and I wired it right into the “MiniCrab”, my Crab/Skid eduBot. We’re still pursuing a controller, but the two pivoting servos will lock into center position when turned on! We also need to upgrade my PC’s OS so I can start Proggin. Has anyone tried the loader on 98? I know it’s not supported, but still, has anyone seen if it will work? I’m going to try it in a minute, I just restored a nice registry to get my pc running again :slight_smile:

Unlike like year’s robot controller that waited for either a valid radio signal or tether connection to begin processing your program, the new Edubot controller with the C language automatically begins running your code when powered on.

See page 3 of the “2004 EDU Robot Controller Reference Guide” on the Innovation First web site for more details.

http://www.innovationfirst.com/FIRSTRobotics/pdfs/EDU-RC-2004_Ref_Guide_10-15-2003.pdf

You will need to add some of your own code to make the EDU robot controller behave how you would like it to.

yea…i added my custom code to it…and it just sits there and does nothing…does it have to do w/ me still using Windows 98?..or does that not have any effect?

basically what i did was…i connected 2 multi-speed motors on pwm1 and pwm2 OUT…and in the code im telling it to go full forward (pwm01=254;…etc) and nothin happens. Any advice?

thanks

*Originally posted by Rickertsen2 *
**got it. Havn’t had time to mess w/yet. **

Me too.

*Originally posted by gwross *
**Me too. **
same same

*Originally posted by AsimC *
**yea…i added my custom code to it…and it just sits there and does nothing…does it have to do w/ me still using Windows 98?..or does that not have any effect?

After updating your code, you need to ‘Make’ your new code (F10 is the shortcut). MPLAB will show you the progress and create a new *.hex file. Use the IFI loader to connect to the robot and download your new *.hex file. If you saw this happen, then your OS is working and something else is wrong (maybe below).

*Originally posted by AsimC *
**basically what i did was…i connected 2 multi-speed motors on pwm1 and pwm2 OUT…and in the code im telling it to go full forward (pwm01=254;…etc) and nothin happens. Any advice?

WHERE you put the above statement is important. Try at the very end of the “user_routines.c”, or at least after the last "pwm1 = " statement in the default code. Otherwise, your statement for pwm1 will be overwritten.

Good luck.

The reason it won’t do anything different is because Win98 can’t build HEX’s w/ C18. The Hex loader does work, however, and this is good news for those who have a low-end dashboard laptop for competition. (me walks over to old 486dx4, me installs NT Workstation) :slight_smile:

we still have ours from last year, im going to be showing off my hoverbot tomarro at Robot Rodeo

Our EDU finally came today. I thought FIRST were supposed to ship the EDU’s out a while ago but at least they came. We were actually supposed to receive the EDU yesterday but it arrived today. Wonder what went on?

We were actually supposed to receive the EDU yesterday but it arrived today. Wonder what went on?

FIRST used ground shipping.

I FINALLY got to the point of being able to compile and upload to the new eduRC. Whew.
And, the results are really cool. While we still don’t have our R/C controller yet, I programmed it to do a few things. First off, I’m using my crab-drive edubot that I built before we got the new controller. I’ve gotten it to basically strafe around in different shapes, circles, triangles, squares, etc.
I’m having a bit of a problem w. the servos though…
The Range of the pwmXX variables is still 0-255, right? For some reason, The HiTec Servos from last year’s kit wont go all the way around to 0 when 0 is sent, and wont go all the way around to the other end at 255. They do center at 127, though. I tried a few different things, but I’m still having some issues getting them to go from 0 deg (0) to 90 (127) to 180 (255). And Yes, I know that the servos actually have over 180 degrees of rotation, so these numbers aren’t 100% correct, but the problem is that they won’t move enough. I’m not sure why. In all my previous work with servos, I haven’t had this problem…

Anywho, I’m trying to find a small portion of free web space I can link to to post up some video of the bot in action. We’re still in the process of getting our “new” domain set up.

Are you sure about the servo range? I had a HiTech servo that only had a range of about 100 degrees.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure, but maybe you’re right.
The servos I’m using are from last year’s kit.
Hey, It’s good enough for me to get it to do a few shapes, so I’m fine for now. :slight_smile:
I really like the fact that it can be programmed to run without any special equipment. I already have tons of auto modes programmed within just one day! And, you can switch betwen them easily.
I’m still searching for some free web space to upload some videos of the MiniCrab in action…

I really like the fact that it can be programmed to run without any special equipment. I already have tons of auto modes programmed within just one day! And, you can switch betwen them easily

nice…so do i… but how do you easily switch between them? i just have separate .hex files.