Anyone thinking of using the third level to lift yourself to the second level similar to last season

A lot of teams will have a lift similar to last year to reach the higher slots on the rocket. Last year, most teams used their lift as a climbing mechanism to latch on to the bar. I was thinking that for this year, why not use the third level as a bar to lift yourself up to the second level. This could even allow for 3 robots to reach the second level or if another robot is designed for it, 1 on the third level, another on the second, and the robot on the second as well being held up by the third level.

The reason I only say getting to the second level is because a lift mechanism couldn’t get the bumpers above the third level.

Ex of our robot last year using our lift to climb:

That’s likely exactly what they were allowing with bullet 2a of section 5.3:

1. the ROBOT’S BUMPERS are fully above the Level’s platform and
  2. the ROBOT is only supported by:
    o surfaces of the HAB at or above that Level,
    o ALLIANCE WALL, and/or
    o another ROBOT which has climbed to that HAB Level or higher

On the other hand, using the same mechanism as a climber as an elevator for a relatively light game piece is false economy if you slow down the elevator or make the thing so heavy that you could have done better with two separate mechanisms. Remember that in FIRST games, speed and consistency are usually worth much more than the base ability to do something at all.

The problem is that it’s a flat slick surface, how are you going to get a good grip of that?

Suction cups work well on flat smooth surfaces.

The problem is the HDPE is slick but not smooth. It has a texture to it that would require a massive amount of suction to get a good seal. not alone thinking that there will definitely be scratches from other bots.

My team was talking about using our lift to help get us onto level three. By putting a wheel on the bottom of your intake attached to your lift you could easily use to to prop the front of yourself onto level three, then use back pistons to push you the rest of the way.