Apollo 11 Moon Landing 50th Anniversary

In honor of the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon Landing, I’d like to create this thread so anyone who wants can share any random memories/trivia/whatever on the US space program, especially Apollo 11. Also, NASA is putting out original footage of Apollo 11 2019-07-20T20:00:00Z here:

8 Likes

Fun fact!

Did you know that the quote: “That’s one small step for man. One giant leap for mankind.” Is actually not the correct quote?

Neil Armstrong insists that he said: “That’s one small step for a man.”

2 Likes

Oh, and US space program can include SpaceX.

Not necessarily related to the space program, but the Houston Astros are wearing these pretty nifty hats on the 22nd to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the moon landing! (Hat here)

Think about this.

This is the Apollo 11 guidance computer, one of the most powerful computers at the time. Nowadays, it costs $10 to get a pocket calculator that is orders of magnitude more powerful as well as significantly cheaper than the millions of dollars computer. Technology.

It’s pretty neat. This is a really interesting video on the Apollo guidance computers. This same channel has a lot of other really interesting videos on other aerospace stuff, including some other videos on Apollo specifically.

How did the Apollo flight computers get men to the moon and back?

This website is playing back all of the capsule audio, mission control audio and overlaying archival footage in real time. Everything is exactly 50 years later.

Oh and these guys have been restoring a real AGC back to full working order.

4 Likes

When JFK announced that we were going to the moon, computers with the equivalent computing power were made with vacuum tubes and were about the size of 2 refrigerators.

NASA contracted with MIT to figure out how to make a computer that was small enough to carry on the Apollo modules. It was during this period that the computer chip was born. NASA was by far the largest purchaser of silicone chips during that time period. This time period was also when Silicone Valley got its start.

People often ask me what we “got” for all the money that was spent to go to the moon. When I tell them that we got Silicone Valley, I usually get a look of astonishment. You could argue that Silicone Valley was bound to happen at some point anyway, but I would argue that the space program was probably the best venture capital that would ever have been available and that if it had not been for that, computers would probably have developed much more slowly and who knows whether they would be anything close to what we have today.

1 Like