aproved usb hubs

hey my team mentor is wandering if there are any restrictions on the usb hubs used for the driver station

I don’t remember there being very many last year.

However, I’ll get back to you in January when the 2012 rules come out.

You should review the driver station specific rules and pay special attention on availability of power.

Also, there is no guarantee that these rules don’t change for next year. I don’t expect substantial change, but I’ve been wrong before and I’ll be wrong again.

Given that last year you were able to use any laptop as the drivers station I would suspect that the rules on hubs would be rather lax with the exception of the computer must provide all power.

That being said, the rules may change in 3-4 months when the new rules are released.

We used this Belkin USB hub last year with no problems. The one that we received in 2009 began to flake out on us during matches.

Per section 4.3.12 in last year’s rulebook, there are no explicit restrictions. however, the note associated with <R75> provided an implicit restriction:

Please note that 19V DC, 2A power will be provided at the PLAYER STATION for Classmates provided in the 2010 and 2011 KOPs via Classmate power adapters. The manufacturer has confimed that the power supply provided at the PLAYER STATION is compatible with both 2010 and 2011 Classmate versions. No 120VAC port will be available.

So, I would highly recommend avoiding all independently powered hubs… although I couldn’t find anything in the rule book explicitly prohibiting batteries on the OI to power devices (like a powered USB hub).

Keep in mind that rules do occasionally change… you won’t know what you can use this year until January.

Our KOP one died during the off season that first year. I had one of the programer students pick up a cheap one from Wal-Mart and its been doing fine ever since. But yes as stated above, make sure you get one the is “self powered”