ArmaBot Pnexapod

I was just browsing through various suppliers for things I may need to order on/after kickoff, and came across the Pnexapod on the armabot site. I understand the basic premise of a hexapod actuator, however usually they are done with electric actuators with a variable position (unlike a pneumatic cylinder). I can see how this could be used as a vertical lift (actuate all cylinders) but am having a challenging time envisioning any other movements. Perhaps tilting the platform to one of three “sides.”

How/where would you see yourself using this on a robot?

Thanks for checking out the Pnexapod! You won’t get much community feedback because to my knowledge something like this hasn’t been fielded yet. We really need to get a video up of this in action because it is quite spectacular. The speed and power of it going to multiple positions in quick succession is awesome. All of this does come at the cost of air usage, so it will need some big tanks.

Thanks!

I kid. How big are we talking?

Marshall’s got jokes…

Not sure of the answer myself, but I would be surprised if anyone can top 4901 fielding a 7-gallon Harbor Freight air tank on the robot for Palmetto 2015…

(Did we need a 7-gallon tank? No. But it was aluminum and lighter than the 5-gallon steel one.)

Frankly, I’m far more interested in that Turret module you guys added recently (I think).

While the Pnexapod is cool, having a decent COTS solution to build a turret seems to me like something that would be far more useful to more teams. That said, videos would definitely be nice. :rolleyes:

I’d say either maximum pipe organ aesthetic or 1225’s climber style air tanks

For those who are curious, he is talking about 3-gallon aluminum air tanks. The TBA picture for 1225 is from their first event (PCH Gainesville), and it shows 6 normal-sized white air tanks. They changed to the 3-gallon tank before UNCA and kept it for the rest of the season. Too big of an air tank is always better than too small (too small=hot compressor, too big=wait a little longer to fill).

For the Pnexapod I would recommend going for a large tank such as a 3-gallon one or using multiple smaller tanks because there are many cylinders used in the product, and if it is used in a critical mechanism, you will need to have plenty of air so the robot does not fail during a match.

Sorry for the bit of a necro, but I got curious again regarding the “pnexapod” and it’s function. I was having a hard time finding a video of one in action that didn’t use electric actuators. I finally came across this video, after some digging this evening, of one in action. While the motions it creates are cool, how viable do people think this could actually be? The CFM for a mechanism like this seems completely impractical for FRC uses. How would you go about using this? If at all.