At-Home Engineering Challenge #2

If I were @efoote868, my solution would be to put two marshmellows on either end of this:

But, it’s a little far for me.

6 Likes

Of course I’d ask the question, that’s how you get ahead in life! Never assume anything!

1 Like

That roundabout art is getting out of hand.

Wouldn’t it be closed right now?

1 Like

I think it may be the sculpture in the center of a roundabout. The address (15100 Carey) is the intersection between two roads, about 10 minutes from my house. I’m a little confused, I don’t recall anything there looking like a giant toothpick. I’ll have to double check.
You’ll forgive me though. When you live next to the roundabout capital of the U.S. (I live in nearby Noblesville) that loves to put public art in them, and the surrounding cities start following suit, all the roundabouts start to run together.

I mean if you don’t have marshmallows they are fairly easy to make. It is similar to a meringue but with some gelatin and a bit of other stuff. not too difficult if you ask me. AND they are really tasty and you can make them whatever flavor you want if you have the right stuff

More importantly in this context, you can make them whatever shape and size you want.

2 Likes

unless making homemade marshmallows if you don’t have any store bought ones is Illeagal.
@efoote868?

I would say, don’t let a lack of resources get in the way of participating in the challenge. Overcoming a lack of resources (and explaining it), you’ll likely earn points for participation and an inventive step.
If your substitutions clearly give you an advantage, you likely won’t win points for being “best”.

So, in the first competition it didn’t really matter if your cups were 5 ounces instead of 3 ounces, provided the extra height or weight didn’t give you an advantage.

In this challenge, if you don’t have toothpicks, if you substitute something of a similar size, and rigidity, it’ll work. That really doesn’t give you license to use broom handles because someone found a “toothpick” prop. If you don’t have marshmallows, if you fabricate or substitute something with similar properties of what we know is commercially available, I’ll allow it.
If your marshmallows appear they’re too different (giving an apparent competitive advantage), I’ll probably ask to see the packaging. :slight_smile:

It’ll also be a bit of a disappointment

Unless you like random roundabout decorations. Or roundabouts in general.

1 Like

Please note, this is not my entry.
image https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1NKwIBqFtH-vFKBDfzSshIAl1WOfQFi2WA8Q-qj_53xHQJmLQftCD2KTO&s

2 Likes

Good luck getting a tape measure next to that!

I was debating asking if using that one counted…

Then I remembered that I’d have to cross the streams to get one (or make one at home).

1 Like

My homemade marshmallows opened up creative possibilities. thanks @SergeantSpork5853 for leaking my idea.

I made this with 1 marshmallow and 5 toothpicks.

2 Likes

is that what you mean?

It’s easy to criticize when you haven’t put in your entry :wink:

1 Like

Im just waiting. seeing what I can do with more time

We were out of toothpicks.

1 Like

Here is my submission

Real height is 8.5 inches - see verification.

Verification

The first picture is proof that the tower is capable of freestanding. However, the perspective in the picture is a little bit off, making the tower seem taller than it actually is, so I attached a photo with the tape measure right next to the tower - total height is 8.5 inches.

Used 10 marshmallows and 20 toothpicks. Toothpicks are hard to see so I edited this photo for verification.

1 for anchor support
6 on bottom level (vertical)
3 on second level (horizontal triangle)
3 on third level (vertical)
3 on fourth level (horizontal triangle)
3 on fifth level (vertical)
1 on top level (vertical)
20 total

Inventive step - Tower anchor and using the properties of marshmallows in my favor

I found my original design needed one more marshmallow and more toothpicks at the top to get to a height I was satisfied with. The original design had three marshmallows on the bottom layer (in a triangle pattern - see picture). To solve this problem, I reduced the marshmallow triangle to a single marshmallow, in the center, with an anchor to the side, which the whole tower would lean against. At first the marshmallows were sliding around on the table, but I remembered that the inside of marshmallows are sticky. I scraped off the top layer of the bottom marshmallows and smooshed them onto the table, using the stickiness to attach the tower to the table. The combination of the tower anchor and using the material properties of marshmallows resulted in the ability to free up two toothpicks and a single marshmallow for the top of the tower, ultimately making it around two inches taller.

Original design (not submission)

2 Likes

Well done! And great ingenuity!

1 Like