Attaching to the pole

Hey Guys,

I was wondering how you guys were planning on sticking to the pole in order to climb it?

My team is using a small diameter piece of plexi as “torsion bar” spring with a series of arms to hug the pole.

Any other thoughts?

Drive wheel(s) and a cam mounted roller.

We’ve been throwing around magnets quite a bit.

Magnets can be tricky; you have to get the perfect magnet for your application and use an appropriate configuration. Not impossible, just tricky.

Be careful not to put an eye out.

lol

I’m personally going to suggest 2 wheels and a lever arm with the battery on it. As long as the leverage develops enough normal force to make the wheels grip, it’s probably the lightest minibot you could possibly make. The effectiveness of this would depend on how much machining of aluminum bar/sheet the GDC is okay with, since it’d work best with custom wheels.

Agreed, but custom wheels are not on the allowed list. They must be “Tetrix components”

<R92> The following items are the only permitted materials for use on the MINIBOTS:
A. TETRIX components that are not
in violation of any other rules,

But several raw materials are on the list; you could make wheels out of that.

Can the wheels be modified?
If so you can use the non-slip pad, just cover the wheel with that.

Is non-slip pad a Tetrix component? If not, I don’t see it in <R92>

<R92-P>

my team was thinking of a mulan style pole climbing, a circular bot with wheels on the inside lining, the bot would grip around the pole and climb uo using the wheels, then at the top the wheels would be pushed out against the pole in order to stay up there, then released back when it has to come down

I presented my idea with simplicity in mind. Less moving parts means a more robust robot. My idea was just have a one way opening “door”, nothing fancy, but gets the job done right.

Their is almost no doubt that the most competitive minibots will use wheels to propel themselves up the pole. I wanted to discuss with some of the members of the forum methods of actually attaching to the pole.

This is a key element in any “on paper” design. This includes a detail free body diagram of all the forces, one of which being the force that keeps you attached to the pole. Inevitably, this force will also react with friction force and resultant force the most.

In other words, say you choose magnets to hold your minibot to the pole. You go one mcmastercarr.com and choose the strongest magnets you can find. All of a sudden you can hold 15 lbs. to the pole; the max possible weight of the minibot. But now you must create a large enough moment (torque for the layman) at the driving wheels to not only break free of the magnetic force, but also react against your weight (mass X accel.) and the friction force.

It may or may not work out so beautifully.