atwood vs. NEW drill motors

They gave us 2 drill motors this year that are significantly bigger tan the ones they gave us last year. Are the atwoods still monumentally more powerful? or will the drill motors be able to put up some serious competition this year?

Atwood + Drill motors.

The drill motors have always been the most powerful. Last year the drills where only slightly more powerful than the Atwood and this year they increase the margin between the two even slightly more. When I say more powerful I don’t necessarily mean the torque right off the current output shaft I simply mean the wattage of the motor.

Nothing beets the smoothness of driving just with the Chias. Man is that nice.:cool: It’s like driving on clouds. This is because thay are very backdriveable (which could be a good or a bad thing but I like it) This years drills I believe are significantly more powerful than the Chias though. For optimal torque and speed, both the Chias and the Drills is the way to go. And if one breaks you’ve still got the other. I think anything beyone 2 Drills and 2 Chias is overkill and you’re current draw will go through the roof and the efficiency will go down through the floor.

As for what our team is doing, we’ll let you know on March 13 in Phoenix. Stay tuned…

Well the new drill motors are for lazy ppl, since they already come with premade mounts :slight_smile:

Drill + Atwood 2 speed tranny! yay!

The drill motors are the most powerful, with the atwoods right behind.

The van door motor is pretty nice as well…

I say both! 2 speed transmissions all the way!!! We did it last year and hopefully this year, with the Drill and the Atwood. We have not yet worked with this years Drill motors, but I have been hearing it has been giving some other teams problems due to the fact that they keep on breaking and such. Im just wondering if the drills are reliable this year.

*Originally posted by sanddrag *
**I think anything beyone 2 Drills and 2 Chias is overkill and you’re current draw will go through the roof and the efficiency will go down through the floor.

Actually, as you add more motors to a job, the workload each motor sees is reduced, and they draw less current.

*Originally posted by M. Krass *
**Actually, as you add more motors to a job, the workload each motor sees is reduced, and they draw less current. **

:o Never thought of it like that. I suppose it would really depend on how the system is loaded.

for the teams that use the drill/atwood drive configuration, do you team up the motors for two to a side, or do you put one on each wheel?

you would have to team them… would be a programinig nightmare to get two different motors to go the same speed on each side of the bot

~Pyro

you wouldn’t do it in programming, you could do it in gear ratios.

we have 2 on each side, and used gear ratios

Well the new drill motors are for lazy ppl, since they already come with premade mounts

We aren’t lazy!
for the most part…

Anyway, we beleive that we should use ther basic mounts (not exactly as they used them, but close) to give time for driver practice and software practice before the regionals:D

*Originally posted by Solace *
**you wouldn’t do it in programming, you could do it in gear ratios. **

Its a programming nightmare either way, you just don’t know how bad it is when they are coupled :slight_smile:

And your efficiency does drop dramatically when coupling motors- they fight eachother - but who cares in a 2 min match?

Greg

i think you misunderstood. I didn’t mean putting a drill and a atwood together on a single drive train, i meant having each seperate wheel controlled by a seperate (singular) motor.

That’s us, except we went with the Fisher Price because they were smaller and coupled better (easier i guess) with the drills. We’re building our own transmissions for the first time and lemme tell you, it’s a BLAST!! Hopefully it’ll work out…we’ll see at San Jose!

lauren

*Originally posted by GregT *
**Its a programming nightmare either way, you just don’t know how bad it is when they are coupled :slight_smile:

And your efficiency does drop dramatically when coupling motors- they fight eachother - but who cares in a 2 min match?

Greg **

They don’t fight each other if you gear them to the same rpm. The efficiency doesn’t drop that much as long as you gear for the “sweet spot” in each of the motor curves.

As for programming goes, it’s no different. You could run both speed controllers off of one pwm and the programming is no different than it is for one motor.

*Originally posted by BBFIRSTCHICK *
**we have 2 on each side, and used gear ratios **

Same here.

(watch for pics to be uploaded soon)

*Originally posted by Harrison *
**Same here.

(watch for pics to be uploaded soon) **

Harrison,
What do you use to switch from low to high gear…servos or pneumatics…or something else??