Australian 4613 Robot Reveal 2017!!

The Barker Redbacks (Team 4613) are proud to present our robot for 2017 FIRST Steamworks - ‘Venom’.

Thanks especially to our generous sponsors for their support this season:
Barker College, IFI, Aarnet, CUYRA, Bitrix24, Aluminium Warehouse, All Plastics. We can’t do it without you!

Reveal video

We will be delivering fuel and gears at:
Shenzhen, Southern Cross, South Pacific and NYC Regionals. Good Luck to all teams this season - we look forward to seeing you on the field.

Now I’m REALLY sad I can’t make it to the regional this year.

Good job Barker, you never fail to impress.

I’m loving the dual-action double shooter and intake, and it’s great to see path planning making it’s debut. I’ll be watching the livestream intensely.

My greatest congratulations go to your team, I’m so happy to see your completed robot!
I like your combined intake and shooter conveyor, very clever :slight_smile:
It has been a privilege and a joy to have worked with your team this season, thank you and good luck!

We’ll see you at Southern Cross,

Jonathan

Do my eyes deceive me? Is the shooter and intake integrated together? That’s pretty sweet.

One of the best I’ve seen yet!

Good luck this year!

This robot looks incredible, and I love the way you guys do the 40kPa autonomous.

One thing is that you might want to check out Q415 with the way you appear to be ground loading balls:

Q: Referring to Q153: If, while not in its LAUNCHPAD, a ROBOT gently propels FUEL a few inches above the ROBOT’S volume, into another part of the ROBOT, does it constitute a violation of G23?

A: Yes, this would be a violation !G23. LAUNCHING does not have a minimum - propelling FUEL “a few inches above the ROBOT” is still LAUNCHING.

Thanks Kevin! We are not propelling balls. We have guides that don’t allow the balls to leave the shooter area. So if you put one ball into the system it will never get into the hooper. After we intake all we just suck the last one in again.

Cheers

AUS-some!

As an old boy (alumnus) of Barker I was thrilled to be invited to serve as a programming mentor on the schools FRC team 4613. Its been a real pleasure working alongside teachers, parents and the mentors from other disciplines (mechanical, electrical).

For the past 6 weeks the students have been toiling away to design, build and test a robot to meet this years Steamworks challenge. Being new to FRC its been a steep but fun learning curve and the enthusiasm of the students for all things robots has been infectious.

And this is the result!! - I cannot over state how proud I am of this team, their tenacity and resolve. As the programming mentor I am especially proud of the programming team’s path generation tool and following logic.

The team is off to Shenzen, China on Sunday to compete then back to Sydney to compete in the Southern Cross and South Pacific regionals then off to the Big Apple for the NYC regional.

I would love to see this path generation tool- those curves are pretty sweet. What language does 4613 use?

Thanks Kevin! - We are using Java.

Awesome robot! Congrats Jeser and all team for being inspiration for international teams!

Wow, great design!

Can you actually shoot a ball at the hopper to disrupt autonomous routines, or is that just a human throwing it?

Awesome design guys, good luck this season

I’m in love with the intake/shooter hybrid mechanism. Extremely clever.

Harpoon guns? Cannons? Cheesecake? there is a reason that we decided to not go for the gear first in auto :wink:

I’m not sure what’s happening in terms of code releases, however we definitely will release all our code at the end of this year on our github - FRC Team 4613 - Redbacks · GitHub

In terms of what our trajectory generator actually does, It uses a Beizer curve (Bézier curve - Wikipedia) for the actual curve generation, using the De Casteljau algorithim - De Casteljau's algorithm - Wikipedia

The red dot’s are the control points, with the dashed blue line drawn between them for help visualizing the path, and the orange line the calculated curve. The lines with the colour gradients are the path the corners take.

For the robot, it goes over the line and generates a list of waypoints, giving the encoder distance for a center dropped wheel, and an angle for the gyro to be at. We then have two PID’s, one to the end of the line and one moving through the different angle points.

The graphical program also let’s you flip the path for either alliance, save and re-open paths and it will draw a nice pink animation of the robot moving along the path (which you can turn off, play/pause and drag back and forward through time.)

Great work, very clever integration of scoring mechanisms! Good luck! #TeamIFI

Cannot wait to see you in Shenzhen, South Cross, South Pacific, and NYC. I will be at all 4 of your events as a robot inspector. I am ready to be impressed and from that video, I am sure to be amazed.

Howard

Great! so it means we just need to get inspected once right? haha :slight_smile:

cya in china!