automatic archiving

This past year, there have been many threads brought back from the dead (The newton thread is only one of many). In some cases, it is harmless, but many times this past year, a thread asking about previous year’s rules was brought back from the dead. The information was clearly wrong about the current year, and then you had someone quoting a post from a year ago, saying how it was wrong.

I’d suggest some type of auto-archiving of posts.

It could be something like locking any post that hasn’t been replied to in 2 months. Or, it could be on a certain date in the summer, any post that hadn’t been replied to in the last month is moved to an archival forum (like the 99, 2000, and 2001 forums).

just another thing to thing about adding to vb3…

Along with this, how about a date on posts? Other forum software like XMB has it.

There is a date, look under the user info of the post…on the bottom left

*Originally posted by Joe Ross *
I’d suggest some type of auto-archiving of posts.
This has actually been considered. I think what I’d do is close any that haven’t been responded to in 2-3 months, but anybody can PM myself or a moderator to open if, it needed.

I’ll think about this more (and check to see if vB3 has something automatic, otherwise I’ll probably write a script to do it.

Thanks.

I like the idea of moving anything old into an archive forum, like the 99, 2000, 2001 forums. I think anything that hasn’t been replied to since December 31, 2002, should go into a similar “2002” forum archive. Anything after then that hasn’t been replied to in 2 months should be locked.

*Originally posted by Kevin A *
**There is a date, look under the user info of the post…on the bottom left **
Oh wow! I’ve been enlightened. That’s great. How come I didn’t realize it before??