Autonomous/Robot Size/ Rope Rules

My Team and I are unclear about some of the rules this year for rope and robot size requirement. I would like to be clarified on the following if possibly.

Robot-
LxWxH Maximum (Including Bumpers) Max Volume

Rope(If we bring our own)-
-Maximum and Minimum length from or to the grow. “How close or far away can the rope be to or from the ground”
-What kind/type or Rope is allowed to bring “Material Requirements”
-Can a note be placed anywhere on your rope?
-Can a material such as a magnet be placed inside your rope?
-Maximum/ Minimum width of thee rope

Autonomous
-Could you place a gear on the center lift and get 60 points making the router turn or dose it have to be on a side lift.
-If multiple routers are turning at the end of autonomous will you get 60+ point (ex. 2 routers are turning you get 120 points)

Read the following rules and you will be able to answer your questions. If there’s any more specific followup, then more specificity would be appreciated.

Robot size: R03 in Section 8. Pick one volume.

Rope: I04 in Section 9. Read the entire rule.

Rotors in Auto: This is actually a little bit harder. Part 1: You MUST start Rotor 1 FIRST (Section 3.4.2) in order to get points. Can’t get points from Rotor 2 before Rotor 1. Part 2: Section 4.3, Table 4.1, calls out each Rotor engaged before period end.

Also, Q&A is open and may have some answers–if the pages will load!

For rope height above the floor, if you were to do the minimum rope length (5’3"), the height that the bottom of the rope would be off of the floor = 17.44" + the length of the knot that holds your rope in the davit. This is from the length the rope drapes over the davit (5.25" on top + 18.19" down the side) added to the height of the davit over the floor (4’10"). Your knot will be a part of the inspection length, so you can make a big knot to hold into the davit, and that will lift the rope off the floor a little more. (Note: for max rope length (8’0") the rope will drape 7.56" on the floor - the knot length) I hope this helps, and saves at least a few others the search.

Also, auton- center gear lift can be used, and yes you can theoretically get the 120 pts for two rotors in auton, however you will probably need to use all 3 lifts and definitely need to cooperate with your two alliance partners to do so.

Thank you guys for the help, This will really help us during the season.

Good Luck!

BTW (As we are prepping to leave for competition, we started to look at the drawings more effectively:

Double Check your Print and the Drawings… the 5.25" is from the outside edge of the C-Channel that the Rope is going to be placed into, the actual measurement starts close to 1.875" (Material Thickness) further in than 0. So the top measurement is really closer to 3.125" and not the 5.25".

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0OdzAly4iYbaG5tczlCWEpvTm8/view?usp=sharing

Q) We have looked through the rules and the Official QA and Here. Problem I currently have is. Pertaining to Rule 104 B, F, Instead of a knot in the 29" section of our strap we leaning towards a velcro Hook to velcro Loop release so that it eats up the length of rope to start rather than a not. Could not find clarification and our admin forgot to authorize me to ask on the official QA so I thought I would try here. any thoughts???

If I understand, you’re planning to secure the rope to the fingers/davit using the hook and loop? If so, that’s likely a no-go. Hook and loop is specifically called out as not being a secure fastener for bumpers, so it’s unlikely to be considered secure for attachment to the fingers.

I’ve been looking for this and maybe I am missing something…We have a 1 inch strap that we are using for our rope. We have sewn hook and loop, fuzzy side with no adhesive to both sides of the entire length of the trap, and then sewn a loop in the top end. I’m wondering about the retention feature…Are teams just tying giant knots at the top? Or can you use something else as a retaining feature like a pin through a loop?

I’m figuring this is just wishful thinking on my part… :frowning:

Edoga

We’re using 1" strap (though no Velcro). We have found that tying a bowline at the end with a loop ~7-8" circumference with no serious twists is easy to fasten securely. Hold the strap by the knot with the loop pointing up. Grab the top of the loop and give it a half twist with the back side going [strIke]down [/strIke] up and the front side going [strIke]up[/strIke] down. Raise the knot to over the channel, with the flipped part against the “lower” face of the fingers. Bring the straps on either side around the fingers, and pull the knot into the gap between the fingers. Put in the retaining pin. Edit 2: See the attached photo mosaic.

Edit: This method should work just as well for a sewn loop.

RTFM.

A figure-8 on a bight should work well with that method.

Yes, what GeeTwo said above. What he described and illustrated so well is also known as a Lark’s Head knot. Some might also call it a Cow Hitch.