Avoiding Putting Two Cargo in a Cargo Bay

My team has had some issues with loading two cargo into the same bay on accident due to low visibility. How does your team prevent this?

Your drive coach and human player aren’t stuck in your driver station. They should be moving to tell you where to place your next gamepiece.

12 Likes

Also, do you guys have a camera on the ship-facing side of the robot when you’re scoring? If you don’t, you should. Then you’ll be able to see that there’s something there and position for the next stop.

There’s also checking the screen but that’s a bit of hit-and-miss.

Our coach would move around and tell me 1, 2 or 3. 1 being the closest 2 being middle and 3 being farthest. This worked great except for the one time I didn’t listen, which was the only time we put two balls in one bay.

Its difficult in the heat of the moment. Just watch finals 2 at FiT. 3310 places a second cargo in the cargo ship bay. Maybe they didn’t want to just get rid of it, but maybe they didn’t see the cargo already there.

Cant front climb with a ball in us and dont want to just spit it on the floor to get in the way of something else.

4 Likes

If you have enough people in the stands, a signalling system among scouting team has been seen at several events. Drive coach and HP can watch the scouting board and relay instructions to the driver.

Is this legal?

I don’t believe there would be a way to monitor that type of communication. Nevertheless, the practicality and effectivenesss of this method is debatable.

1 Like

You can’t bring any device that allows or assists you in communicating with people in the stands or your technician, according to H1. If you can do the communication without any device facilitating it in the arena, that seems fine by my reading of the rules. How well it will work, on the other hand, I don’t really know.

2 Likes

This method of using people and signs outside the arena was much more effective last year, when teams could signal their drive teams what the cube difference was on the scale. This year, it doesn’t really seem like it would be useful though…

We’ve done this once or twice but something I’ve found useful is assigning parts of the cargo ship during pre-match so you’re never guessing if one was already placed in the bay. With only one robot doing one side (or the whole thing), it’s much easier for the drivers to follow a pattern of far --> close or close --> far. This also helps with efficiency so the drive team is never deciding where to place the cargo as they’re driving up to the ship.