Award entry changes for 2004

In Bob Hammond’s latest email blast (the one that told us about the new RC), he also tells us about new Chairman’s and Woodie Flowers Award rules:

"Regional Chairman’s Award submissions this year will be completed electronically. The format will be identical to last year but files will be e-mailed so FIRST can distribute them to judges prior to each event. Since the Chairman’s Award is based on sustained excellence and impact of the team’s overall program, rookies will not be eligible for the Chairman’s Award. We recommend they still document their program as the process is a valuable component of the FIRST experience.

At each Regional, FIRST is implementing a new Woodie Flowers Award Finalist in 2004 to recognize mentors and their significant contribution to teams and students. The regional winners will form the finalist pool for the Championship Woodie Flowers Award."

I think, on the whole, these are welcomed changes. What do you think?

With the Regional Woodie Flowers Award more great people in FIRST will be recognized that may never have had that chance. It’s a great idea and I’m glad FIRST is adding more regional-level awards.

*Originally posted by Ryan Dognaux *
**With the Regional Woodie Flowers Award more great people in FIRST will be recognized that may never have had that chance. It’s a great idea and I’m glad FIRST is adding more regional-level awards. **

This is a great addition to the regional events; to only have one winner at the National level was disappointing for many volunteers, mentors and teacher who worked so hard every year.
And usually there is only one volunteer of the year award per regional; which doesn’t cover teachers and school mentors.

Now, I’m going to put pressure on the NYC teams to submit a Woodie Flowers candidate. (yes… more work!)

:smiley:

You can find some more about this here:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22091

I know at the Silicon Valley regional, there is a volenteer of the year award. The Woody Flowers award will be cool to have at all compititions.