Bash @ the Beach thoughts [contd from Jess's post on General Forum]

First off, I just want to thank the sponsoring teams and volunteers that made this event happen. Sure, it went off with plenty of hitches and issues- but it went off, we made due with the mishaps and we had a WONDERFUL time. Congrats on the effort- it was definitely one of the most fun of the summer.

As for the way finals were an auto-pairing of teams… at first I was a little sketched by the thought… but in retrospect think it was a pretty cool idea. You don’t always have the ideal choice of what to do or can’t do things how you would like, and finals set up this way forced teams to be creative and do what they could with what they had. It took some pressure off and made it more fun… as well as ensuring that EVERY team had a chance to go for gold and EVERY team would play in their matches to get it.

It’s likely an easier pill to swallow since we were paired with the greats teams of 38, 176, and 716 but still, I think it was a cool little twist and I was glad to not have to worry about picking/being pick, etc…

And the food was great-- as was the pinic afterwards… it was a really cool event…

Like the Beach theme :slight_smile: Let us break out the Aloha shirts that us geeks don’t get to wear that often :stuck_out_tongue:

Keep up the good work- it was great… and we love little twists in the game that make you look at it a little differently :wink: just look at Battlecry :stuck_out_tongue:

Now it’s time to see what RiverRage has to offer-- who’s gonna be there!!!

Anyone trying to put on one of these post season competitions deserves lots of credit…With the high cost of attending additional FIRST regionals, these events give lots of teams a chance to keep going. Thanks to the sponsors of BASH.

We had a great time after our 3 hour drive. And thanks to those extra supporters from other teams who wore those CHAOS shirts to make it look like we had more than 10 members there. Also thanks to Andy G for helping as a coach for the day…he looks good in green and orange!!

As for the finals, this year’s game needs whatever creativity that we can give it, so doing something “different” is fine with me.

Congradulations to Team 38, the N.E. team that could make anyone look good this year. (We always loved working with them). That blue machine and team members set a standard for all of us to work towards.

Hello Everyone!!!

I’d just like to say that Bash was a nice event. It was FIRST, it was Friends, a good time on the whole :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I hope that everyone had fun at Bash and that no one is out of FIRST mode yet. River Rage is coming up shortly, and we will need the help of all you teams out there to make it a reality.

River Rage will again take place at the Manchester West High School Gym in Manchester New Hampshire on the second weekend of September, Saturday September 8th. A sneak preview of what we have planned is that the finals will again return to a best two out of three format. Essentially how this works is that each team will play 3 matches in a “finals round”, the team that scores the highest score in 2 our of thier three matches will move on. Details will be posted to the River Rage Website (http://riverrage.w3.to) , so keep an eye out there. We hope that this will provide an interesting twist to the finals…and require teams to be slightly more on edge and keep things a little more intense in the finals.

Other events during the same weekend include Manchester’s Riverfest. I encourage teams, who can, to head over to the fireworks held later in the evening on Sept. 8th. I attended last year with a bunch of FIRSTers and it was really cool display.

Food at River Rage will include, our usual assortment of burgers, hotdogs, pizza, etc.

I hope that all the teams in the past who have a supported River Rage will again choose to attend and make River Rage what it has always been, a great, informal, chance to run your bots.

Please head over to http://riverrage.w3.to/ check out the “sign-up” page to register. Teams will be considered offically registered when their registration fee is recieved.

Thank You,

See you all at River Rage!!!

First off, I have to say Bash was one of the most purely fun competitions I’ve been to in ages. :slight_smile:

I also got to see it from 2 totally different ends. For a few hours, I was one of the primary refs until called upon by my team for an extra hand. I’ve never been a ref before, and honestly, this was not the game I wanted to make my debut…it was simply too complicated! I have a very high respect now for the head ref at Bash, and all the other refs out there that had never even SEEN a FIRST competition before, and then had to ref this game.

My only problem that I had with Bash was that although there were a few small rules modifications - the refs were never given the same info packet that the teams were. I didn’t learn about the balls out of the endzone change until I talked to team 237 just before the beginning of the competition. Though other than that, I think the competition ran quite smoothly and kudos to all who ran it.

I also got to see Bash from a team perspective when Tom came to steal me from refereeing :wink: Outside of a crippled 'bot - that part was incredibly fun. Thanks so much to my boys on team 177 for even giving an old, rusty, retired driver one last chance behind the sticks :wink: Oh and Tom? You and Eric make it look entirely TOO EASY!! :cool: And the Bobcat knows who her drivers are - and she knew it wasn’t me :wink: Perhaps I would have better luck with Petunia :stuck_out_tongue:

The autopairing of alliances was interesting to say the least. It seems the 2001 bots are really beginning to feel the season drag on, and it seems that almost everyone was having something break. So it wasn’t really that. I didn’t really like this mod on the game. True, it forced you to deal with what the cards dealt you - but for top seeded teams there was no “privilage” I guess, for getting that high. Though I do like the way it let everyone come into the elims without feeling like a last pick, or 5th wheel team that would never see the playing field again. So really perhaps for a comepetition as laid back as Bash, it was fitting :slight_smile:

For me though, the highlight had to be the get together at the end. I’m paying for it now - but the v-ball game that got going was a ton of fun and I think a great example of FIRST spirit in action.

So here’s to a good competition, great food, a Dew and some friends getting together for a summer Bash at the Beach :stuck_out_tongue: Next stop, River Rage!

Oh - and for those in the v-ball game after…anyone get the “Bash itch” from the ball flying into those bushes? :wink: I survived it seems!

(Ok, ok, Colleen, so I put the thread in the wrong forum…it was late and I was tired and sore, so sue me :wink: )

Just like Lora and because of Lora, I got 2 totally different views of the competition. In the morning I coached for 237 just a bit (always a pleasure to do)…and then Lora told me that 177 needed her, so I took over her reffing job.

And boy, what a rush that was.

I have now come to the conclusion that somehow, someway, I want to ref a real FIRST-run competition. It was really cool being able to utilise something Ive never been able to do before: my knowledge of the rules. Ive never driven at a real FIRST competition (1st/last time was at WPI), and Ive never built or done strategy, so being able to look at a match and see exactly what was wrong with it or what was right with it was such a rush of pride to know that yes, I do know this game inside out.

As for Bash itself, it had its normal communication problems-charm that comes with the competiton…though I was upset that we couldn’t color a yellow ball black (following Bash tradition). I also wish there was a better clarification of the rules, for instance: if ball/field destruction was ok, then it should have been said beforehand, so that we werent running for the FIRST rulebook as much. So basically, if youre gonna change the rules of the competition, please clarify it as much as you can.

There were also a couple of other things I did not like about the competition, but Im not in the mood for being any more cynical that I already have been.

I have to say, though…the venue was great…lots of parking, the gym was spacious though warm (but what gym isnt warm during a competition), the eating area was really close, easy access to the outside…it had it all. Decoration (including palm trees & the team posters) was also very well done.

My highlight: the team party…that was awesome, though I wish it was a little longer. Waterford is beautiful, and the party was a great idea. Definetley a great way to end a summer.

And no, I do not have the “Bash itch”…though I am really really sore :wink:

PS - thanks to everyone who put up with me as a “pain in the butt ref”. I’m usually not that mean, really :wink:

The Day.com

Article about the event :wink:

I really enjoyed this year’s Bash @ The Beach competition. Good, free food :D, interesting competition and an all around good time. I would like to say thanks to all the people who helped run the event and those people who sponsored it.

I dis-agreed with method used to choose alliances for the final rounds, but I must admit it caused us to use our brain and skill, rather than “pure robot power.” Though our alliance did not win, I was happy with the way we utilized the best function of each robot, allowing each team to feel content (that was the vibe I got). Congrats to team 38’s alliance on a job well done.

While we are on this topic, does anyone have any pictures they are willing to share? I would love to be able to take a look back at this event.

The “Weird Hair Crew” of Team 237 made the article in “The Day”!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Someone probably said this already, but who won?

Originally posted by EddieMcD
Someone probably said this already, but who won?
In response to that I quote this:
*Originally posted by colleen-t190 *
It’s likely an easier pill to swallow since we were paired with the greats teams of 38, 176, and 716 but still, I think it was a cool little twist and I was glad to not have to worry about picking/being pick, etc…

As much as I hated to the auto-alliance picking it turned out ok. It just stunk for us, because it was the first time we earned #1 seed, and it was for nothing. Team 175 was awesome to work with though. They are such a great team to be with. Not only as an alliance partner, but also just great people in general. I hope to see you guys soon. I think that Bash was pretty much a success, and was very fun. Team 38 came through in the end again. Man it was all them this year. I believe my mentor said it best when he stated, “team 38 made any alliance partner they worked with look good”.

*Originally posted by Jestin McCarthy *
**As much as I hated to the auto-alliance picking it turned out ok. It just stunk for us, because it was the first time we earned #1 seed, and it was for nothing. Team 175 was awesome to work with though. They are such a great team to be with. Not only as an alliance partner, but also just great people in general. I hope to see you guys soon. I think that Bash was pretty much a success, and was very fun. Team 38 came through in the end again. Man it was all them this year. I believe my mentor said it best when he stated, “team 38 made any alliance partner they worked with look good”. **
I just remembered something that was said a while ago on these same forums. Talk about fate. Look at what was said here.