Basic Robot Layout

As a new member, I am looking for a basic robot layout that has all of the major components physically laid out. For example if a robot is 3 “stories” tall what goes in each floor. I am not looking for someone to do my design work - just a starting point which can be “cobbled together” then modified for specific design traits. Picture galleries are nice but the pictures are too small and its difficult to see all of the components.

You need to be a little more specific. Are you looking for advice on electrical layout, mechanical or both? Are you asking about this year’s FRC robot or robots in general?

Generally speaking the primary consideration for physical layout is center of gravity and stability. You want the robot to be as stable as possible, which means:

1. having the most massive components twords the center and the bottom (battery, motors drivetrain…) and

2. having your wheel base as wide as your design limitations allow.

The electrical control system is usually in one location with power and control signals running where they need to go. Some people put the motor controllers right next to the motors, and others put them all in one spot and run the motor wires out from there.

The actuators (arms, grippers…) are designed according to the functions they are required to perform, but the same general rule applies: try to keep the heavy parts low and towards the center of the robot.

Especially with what promises to be a physical game this year, it may be wiser to think more in terms of front-to-back or left-to-right rather than top-to-bottom. As was previously mentioned, keeping the motors, controls, and operating systems close, low, and protected, will be critical. Low center of gravity is paramount to keep your robot from tipping. So everything that is important (read “expensive” or “heavy”) would go in the first floor, with some sort of energy relay - belts, chains, pulleys, as needed - going to the apparati (plural of apparatus?) above.
With this in mind, the Reader’s Digest condensed version of our bot (yes, we’re a 2nd year team with limited resources but I think the boilerplate will be pretty popular) is the following: the front of the robot gathers the balls, middle shoots for the ctr goal, and rear scores in the corners. Keys to the game we’ve found: speed, mobility, robustness, simplicity.

I think you mean track width. (Although wheel base is good too, as anyone with 4wd experience can say, too much of a good thing is bad… unless it’s track width)

What is bad about a wide wheel base on a 4WD robot. That is the way you want it, it makes turning easier. If it was narrow it would be really hard to turn.

on a car ‘wheel base’ refers to the distance between the front and back wheels. Luke picked up on that. What I really meant is your wheels want to ALL be as far apart as possible.

Robots dont always have 4 wheels - they may have 2 or 6 or 1.

A wide stance is what you want for stability.

Oh ok, I just always referred to wheel base as how wide they are. But Yea Luke is right then.

Thanks for the replies they were excellent. :slight_smile: I am looking for physical layout of electrical components. There was a website which had the basic components laid out and by hovering the mouse they were identified. of course thanks to spyware i trashed my favorites and lost the site. :mad: