Battery Connector SwitchOut

New to Chief Delphi, so perhaps a previous post exists but I can’t find one and I need an answer quickly. Is there a video or resource that walks through changing out alligator clamps on the battery chargers that come with the KOP to an sb50 anderson connector?

Other teams “fixed” our original but I’m at a loss for finding a tutorial of how to do this ourselves.

Thanks in advance.

Cut off the alligator clamps and strip the insulation. After that there are two options:

  • Attach a COTS SB connector battery lead (what comes in the KOP) to the charger leads using appropriately sized wire nuts or screw terminals. This is fast and simple (be sure to cover any exposed copper with heat shrink or electrical tape).
  • SB Connector Contacts are also available for smaller wire sizes, if the team has crimping capability.
1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmVAaGHRFXk

Just cut off the alligator clamps first.

The SB 50 connector kit can be obtained from AndyMark as am-0546. There are a number of crimpers that can crimp those pins. I suggest that when you strip the charger wires, that you strip long and then fold over the wire twice which will give you a large enough diameter to insert into the pin. We follow up with solder just to be sure that wires are connected and will not pull out.

We use reducer bushings that fit the standard SB50 contacts, and crimp them with a hydraulic crimper (a cheaper hand crimper is also an option). We add some shrink tubing or electrical tape around the contact and wire for strain relief.

We have soldered, crimped with filler wire, and crimped with reducing bushings. Regardless of the method we have seen fatigue, flexing, and strain relief failure after a few years with each.

Earlier this season after spending time with another team in the area and finding that they have had similar issues I made an attempt to come up with an improved solutions. I took some 1/4" brass rod, drilled it for the wire size I wanted it to fit. Counter drilled it for the size of insulation to provide strain relief. Soldered the insert into a 6 AWG SB50 contact that was expanded with the same tooling we use to make them work with 4 AWG wire. Lastly cross drilled and tapped for a 4-40 flat point set screw. I also strongly recommend using un-insulated wire ferrules to reduce the risk of the set screw cutting the strands.

The end result is a contact that is field installable with basic tools that and is easy to reuse.
Google Photos

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.