battlebots!!!

I was wondering if there are any FIRST teams that are thinking or actually going to compete in Battlebots. If you already did so, how was your experience?? and tell us a little about it…is FIRST involved in ANY way w/ battlebots??? because a few weeks ago I saw their logo right after the show ended.

I know team 358 - Hauppauge Titans - did Battlebots this year along with FIRST. You could try getting in contact with 'em for some info.

Thanx for the info SuperDanman

I belive the ‘First’ after battle 'bots is the production company or something like that and is unrelated with the FIRST we know and love. At least, I’ve never been aware of FIRST having any involvment what so ever.

-Andy A.

Since battlebots goes against the holy Woody writ of “gracious profesonalism”, not many sign up and do it.

How does BattleBots not allow gracious professionalism?

All the competitors agree with the rules and they’re cool if their bot gets beat up. Outside the arena it’s exactly like FIRST, everyone shares parts and helps out in the pits.

Many former and current FIRST participants are involved in BattleBots. This includes myself, the builder of the heavyweight champion, a former middleweight champion, founders of BattleBots IQ one of which is a Woodie Flowers Award winner, and tons more.

The most compelling reason for a FIRST team not to do BattleBots & FIRST at once is time and money; neither are cheap or easy but they’re both hugely rewarding.

Dan

Battlebots and FIRST have a lot of similarities. I agree in the pits they have the same feel - all the teams help each other out.
If a bot get trashed people swap tools and parts to get it working. If anything the level of sportsmanship is better at Battlebots - because no-one can “throw” a game or deliberately score 0 points to spite their opponent.

Now the purpose of Battlebots is to MAKE MONEY FOR THE PROMOTERS. The purpose of FIRST is to GET KIDS EXCITED ABOUT SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY.

Battlebots is good as what it does and as a sideline generates some interest in S&T. FIRST is very good at S&T and not very good at getting lots of money.

Why can’t we all just get along! I think FIRST should sell the TV rights to BATTLEBOTS - and use the $$$ to grow the program.
Innovation FIRST sells radios to Battlebots - the battlebot promoters know and respect FIRST - I think it is up to the FIRST board of directors to examine some way in which BB can be used to promote FIRST.

I completely agree. I’ve participated in both FIRST and Battlebots and I personally believe that both have the same great atmosphere. Battlebots IQ had the same feel as a regional, very small amount of teams(40 something max) and every single one of them willing to help. There is no reason why gracious profesionalism cannot be present in both competitions. Sure, in one you fight the opposing team, but you can back off. Both teams enter the battlebox knowing that their robot can and probably will break, it’s not like they are unaware of what will happen. Besides, they are two different competitions and both provide great learning experiences for those involved. If anything, a battlebots team is even smaller so you get more hands on time.

-Sergio

members of FIRST are not allowed to compete in battle bots…they really frown upon it and don’t want any association with battle bots…and i agree with them, FIRST is much better

*Originally posted by Nataku *
**members of FIRST are not allowed to compete in battle bots…they really frown upon it and don’t want any association with battle bots…and i agree with them, FIRST is much better **

It really isn’t about which is better, you can’t compare them aside from the fact that they are both robotic competitions. Now tell me - why isn’t it frowned upon and why dont they want the association? Give me one good reason that can’t be countered with a simple argument. They are both GREAT learning experiences. Why should it be frowned upon? I thought the whole idea behind Battlebots IQ and FIRST was the education?

-Sergio

yes, your right about that. the whole destroying robots idea doesn’t agree with gracious professionalism though…after i am done with FIRST i am going to make a battle bot anyways though…

**yes, your right about that. the whole destroying robots idea doesn’t agree with gracious professionalism though…after i am done with FIRST i am going to make a battle bot anyways though… **

You really do need to make up your mind. :wink: You can think of the “game” as defeating your opponent in a fight. Theres no reason gracious professionalism doesn’t exist in Battlebots IQ. Like I said, from what I experienced at the competition everyone was very helpful(In fact, I saw people from other teams helping out a poor kid that was by himself on his team). There was also a lot of good sportsmanship, no one took ‘free hits’ on their opponent and respected the fact that once they appeared to be KO’d they backed off. I didn’t see any excessive damaging at all. I mean seriously, it was all within the bounds of the rules of the competition.

-Dallin

i haven’t seen any of battle bots IQ, where did you see it?

Right now it’s just a pilot. I competed at it late march, before the National competition for FIRST. It was held at Universal Studios and it is a high school version of battlebots being produced by the same owners. You should really look into it, if you go to http://www.robotcombat.com/bbiqbots.html you can see a list of competitors.

-Dallin

Notice something?

Disney is competators with Universal
FIRST is competators with Battlebots IQ
Disney has FIRST
Universal has Battlebots IQ

Universal sucke up Battlebots so they have one too and will pump moeny into IQ so they can stay at their hotels and go to their parks. Of course, FIRST will stop out IQ like a small fly.

Well, atleast as opposed to FIRST, you don’t have to stay at a “Universal Hotel”. I know that this was part of the FIRST rules, or you had to pay a certain ammount of money per person on the team that didn’t. Really rediculous.

-Dallin

**members of FIRST are not allowed to compete in battle bots…they really frown upon it and don’t want any association with battle bots…and i agree with them, FIRST is much better **

not allowed to, eh? interesting…

that is what my team was told last year…because at florida the battlebots rep came up to our drivers and asked them if they would make a battlebot

That’s kind of silly. They can’t say “you can’t do this”, it’s all a matter of where you do it and whos helping you. Perhaps they wont help you, but im sure you don’t need that help by now. If what you said about building your FIRST robot is true, im sure you will do fine. I think both competitions are fun, perhaps FIRST has lost a little bit of it’s luster to me(due to certain things) but they are both great learning opportunities which should not be denied to the kids.

-Dallin

I had a very nice conversation with the Battlebot promoters - they seem like very nice and warm hearted people - they extended the hand of friendship to FIRST and were totally snubbed.

So they took their ball and went home and started up BattleBots IQ. So it is the violence arguement. Can someone get hurt at battlebots - yes - but you can get killed at a hockey game, or at an auto race as well. Does battlebots promote violence? Is destructive testing really violence? - you crash test vehicles for Pete’s sake! If Battlebots was more like FIRST there would be less public interest.

Play the converse in your head. A lot of engineers quit FIRST after the 2001 season because the co-opetition bored the hell out of them. Universities in England that promote "RobotWars have seen a 10% increase in enrollment. Keep your eye on the bottom line.