Beatty tracks

I’ve got to ask. I haven’t seen the robot, but to those who have, what are Beatty’s shuffle tracks made out of? Is it the file cleaning brushes in SPI?

James
Engineer/Coach
Team 180 SPAM

Yes I believe they have the flie cleaning brushes on the bottom of their walking feet.

Are they only oriented for best traction going forward or are some reversed?

James
Engineer/Coach
Team 180 SPAM

Click here - if you scroll down a bit, you will see the file card/brush that Beatty is using to crawl across the carpet… on each side there are six of these file cards - three in a row, two rows - on each side; or twelve file cards total. From what I have seen, Beatty cannot go in reverse. They can barely turn, if they can turn at all. Maybe someone from the team could give a little insight …

• Katie

*Originally posted by Katie_93 *
**… on each side there are six of these file cards - three in a row, two rows - on each side; or twelve file cards total. From what I have seen, Beatty cannot go in reverse. They can barely turn, if they can turn at all. Maybe someone from the team could give a little insight …

• Katie **

Here’s a picture for everyone, It kind of helps, I try lol

http://wiwg.cap.gov/sqdn5/images/beattycards.jpg

There are file brushes on Beatty’s shuffling feet… don’t those things damage the carpet? I mean, if robots start pushing back on beatty and those feet slip, doesn’t that have the potential to be really bad for the carpet?

Also, how’d they get past the “sharp pointy objects” rule on the inspection list?

The list of teams that “could have” or “should have” beat Beatty is a long list indeed. The fact of the matter is that Beatty/Hammond keeps on winning and we all keep on thinking that we might have beaten them… …if…

Now on to the various issues. Concerning Beatty getting DQ’d for carpet damage, in order for them to damage the carpet you have to MOVE them.

How is this going to be accomplished without you yourself damaging the carpet? I suppose that the team trying to move Beatty will be the one more likely to damage the carpet.

As to the accertion that Beatty cannot move backwards, is this true? How certain are you of this claim?

Finally, has anyone (or team of robots) tried to push Beatty into their home zone? Was it successful? If they can’t back up, it seems to me that you could push them into your home zone with the two goals and more or less defeat them – the hunter becomes the hunted, eh?

Has anyone tried this?

One last thing. Can Beaty let go of goals it has docked with?

All very important data that teams that want to avoid being road kill along 80/90 as it passes through Hammond need to know…

Joe J.

WildStang is on the list of teams that could have and should have beat Beatty over the years, but they’re a great team and usually find a way to win.

No one has yet tried to push Beatty from behind. We think it’s possible but didn’t need to since they gave us a goal in both matches.

They cannot let goal of the goals once they have them. And good luck stealing a goal from them, it won’t happen.

Mike

Joe: You don’t have to move them for the carpet to be damaged … they do that all on their own!

*Originally posted by Gui Cavalcanti *
**There are file brushes on Beatty’s shuffling feet… don’t those things damage the carpet? I mean, if robots start pushing back on beatty and those feet slip, doesn’t that have the potential to be really bad for the carpet?

Also, how’d they get past the “sharp pointy objects” rule on the inspection list? **

They don’t rip the carpet - but they do bunch it up. There is even a close-up of Beatty crawling during one of the elim. matches and you can see that they are bunching up the carpet. If you look in the rules, DQ4 says, “Deliberately damaging the playing field, controls or balls is strictly illegal and will result in disqualification of your alliance. Robot wheels must not, for example, damage the field carpet. This will be checked during robot inspection at registration on the first event day and throughout the competition. ** Bunching up or puckering the carpet is considered damage to the field.**” - Though they don’t rip the carpet, they do bunch it up when they crawl, as mentioned before. They do, however, rip the tape dividing the field into zones. The tape has to be redone after every match Beatty is in.

I am almost positive that they cannot move backwards. They have drive wheels in back but once the file cards are down and crawling, the drive wheels become useless. But again, the people on team 71 are the experts! No one at MMR, at least that I am aware of, tried to push Beatty from behind. Beatty cannot let go of goals after they grab them. After the qualification match we beat them in, it took the refs over three minutes to pry Beatty off of one goal. Like Mike said: once they have the goal, there’s no getting it away from them. Their grabbers also slide up and down the PVC arm so they can adjust when grabbing the goal.

• Katie

Beating those file card brushes is going to be a tough feat no matter what team is against them…T-190 has 4 of these brushes as anchors on our bot. They are actuated by a sliding cam using pnuematic cylinders. Once they move, they lift the bot about a quarter inch off the ground. Once they are engaged, there is no moving us. With just two pounds placed on one brush, it takes well over 100 pounds of force to move it (we went off our scale). We found that in all of our matches, there is no one that can move us when we have two goals, so seeing as though beatty has 6 of them, I feel as though they are not going to be moved period. Further backing of this came as in a few matches we have been tourqued enough to get just one brush on the floor (three off), and we still haven’t been moved. My two cents.

thought id let anyone who is interested know this…

in talking to beattys drivers (yes, i know i shouldnt be talking with the opposition) i learned that they are able to steer their robot though it is very minimal. im not really sure how they can do it but they said they could (not sure whether i should be trusting them or not).

since were talking about beating beatty strategies here i thought id also mention to anyone wondering…

for those of you who dont know beatty has a tether:
beatty has a tether.

for those of you who know about the tether:
the tether can only be used when their one arm is taken off (cant remember which one it is) because of weight.

Beatty can back up according to their drivers! They claim to loss a little power but they say they are still stronger than any one else. I guess only time will tell, meaning this weekend. I hear that there is a bot driven by my little brother that whats to take on the powerhouse of Beatty. See ya all in GR

*Originally posted by Joe Johnson *
Finally, has anyone (or team of robots) tried to push Beatty into their home zone? Was it successful? If they can’t back up, it seems to me that you could push them into your home zone with the two goals and more or less defeat them – the hunter becomes the hunted, eh?

Has anyone tried this?

Joe J. **

If you take a look at the last 30 seconds of Semi 2 Match 2 we tried pushing Beatty back into our home zone by pushing on one of the goals they had, it didn’t work…we didn’t try pushing directly on the bot, maybe that would have worked better, and yes we are on the list of teams that could have/should have beat Beatty, the wrong things just happened at the wrong times. Can’t wait till nationals!

The better strategy seems not to push agains them, but it seems to be possible to re-direct them side to side. They did take some hits and were pushed sideways somewhat.

*Originally posted by Mike Soukup *
** No one has yet tried to push Beatty from behind. We think it’s possible but didn’t need to since they gave us a goal in both matches.

They cannot let goal of the goals once they have them. And good luck stealing a goal from them, it won’t happen.

Mike **
I know we can’t reach under the goals, but is there any rule or reason why a robot “forklift” can’t just reach under another robot?

To defeat Beatty, you’ll need a serious “traction breaker” machine of some kind. One “wedge front” machine won’t do it. The file card arm length almost guarantees you’ll have to lift it vertically. You’ll need a pair of wedge bots working together, or else a true forklift robot.

Now a forklift robot doesn’t even need to grab the goals itself. If robot forklifts are allowed, it seems the smartest move to me would be to let Beatty (or another two goal controller) grab the pair of goals. You then simply waltz over, jack up 'ol 71 to break its traction, and slowly tractor the entire robot and the two goals it is still holding to your scoring area while it wiggles its file cards in the air. If Beatty can’t release the goals, all the better! They can’t let go while you’re tractoring them and have to help you! :slight_smile:

You simply need adjustable drop down or extendable thin forks with a wedge shaped front edge & a small roller embedded in each of them, and a really geared down drivetrain. Think “service station quick lift hydraulic car jack or scissors jack”, but done with lead screws or cylinders. The weight of the robot you’re lifting an inch or two provides the traction weight for you. (Of course, this won’t work against robots with extendable “lunar lander feet”…)

Two wedge fronted robots might be able to do the same thing with a lot of coordination if each one gets on an opposite side of the two goal controller and approach each other. Just like two guys carrying a sofa between them. Only problem: Beatty’s partner is going to be harassing you while you try it.

As long as you don’t try to forklift the goals, are there any rules preventing this?

Any forklift (or wedge fronted) robots out there now that are capable of taking them on this way?

If you’re planning on taking on Beatty, I’d start thinking about the fastest way to make some add-on wedges or forks for the fronts of your robots! :slight_smile:

• Keith

*Originally posted by kmcclary *
** I know we can’t reach under the goals, but is there any rule or reason why a robot “forklift” can’t just reach under another robot?

• Keith **

Actually, lifting other robots is legal this year. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You just have to “Handle with care.”

814 (our alliance partner in SVR) have a “forklift” or thier robot why don’t you ask them about it

What are the dimensions on those file cards?

The people on that team are so nice to talk to, they will tell you the truth everything on their robot.

We played against them and won, here’s how

They are pretty quick off the line as are we. When they use the wheels they have some air cylinders with some type of teflon disk on the front that they slide over the carpet on until they retract them and engage the feet. We figured that since they latch automatically on all 3 goals and when they had them our robot couldn’t do anything (Though some tanks were able to move them sideways) our strategy is to hit the center goal (~2secs) then take it and run into them which causes it to immediately engage. At this point they have not reached the outside two but they have to put the feet down to get the traction otherwise our backup was to spin sideways and change their orientation. It worked, with raw speed not power, I have also seen raw power pushing on an outside goal do it also. What a fantastic robot that was designed way outside of the box that others were designed to. Go Beast!!

I regards to the fork lift idea:
862 has a forklift based on pneumatics cylinders and some carbon steel forks with specifically this in mind. We never had a chance to use them against beatty though at wmr. Hopefully we’ll have a chance to do it at nats. We figured out that we needed to pick them up at the front corner of their bot because the fronts taken up by a goal as well as the side, but we think we could get into the corner and lift them up. I saw beatty get defeated 4 times at WMR and we know another one of their secrets now.