Best Looking Machines

Posted by michael ciavaglia.

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Interior Systems.

Posted on 1/28/2000 5:12 AM MST

I think this year will produce many more good looking machines than past years. Heck, even we are on our way to producing a machine that looks good. We actually had a conversation about sandblasting versus painting our machine this week. I was roped back into reality and reminded that function is more important than looks. I am ecstatic about the limit ( or lack thereof) on sprokets, gears, and pulleys.

I can’t wait to see everyone’s machines and how much better looking they are. Any peeks? It doesn’t hurt to ask.

I am sure that even with the increased ability to use aluminum there will be swiss cheese teams, maybe even ours.

But overall, I am hopeful that our robot and many others will look the best ever. Let’s face it, in our society looks count. Increasing the amount of cool looking machines will only help to increase interest in FIRST by the non-FIRST person.

Posted by Mike Sperber.

Engineer on team #175, Buzz, from Enrico Fermi High School and UTC/Hamilton Sundstrand Space Systems.

Posted on 1/28/2000 6:10 AM MST

In Reply to: Best Looking Machines posted by michael ciavaglia on 1/28/2000 5:12 AM MST:

I do have to agree with you that looks do count!
But then again, what about ‘form, fit, and function’?

But seriously, looks are important to ‘non-FIRST’ people; however, the machines all look interesting and inviting, regardless of if you know what they are.

But more importantly in trying to increase the interest in FIRST of non-FIRST related people, is how they are treated by everyone (engineers, teachers, students) when they are looking around the pits and watching the matches.

Posted by Ken Wilson.

Engineer on team #248, FEMEX, from Philadelphia Girls High and PECO Energy Company.

Posted on 1/29/2000 5:16 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: Best Looking Machines posted by Mike Sperber on 1/28/2000 6:10 AM MST:

:Well executed and functioning designs are beautiful by
themselves. However, when time permits, a little window-dressing never hurts.

: I do have to agree with you that looks do count!
: But then again, what about ‘form, fit, and function’?

: But seriously, looks are important to ‘non-FIRST’ people; however, the machines all look interesting and inviting, regardless of if you know what they are.

: But more importantly in trying to increase the interest in FIRST of non-FIRST related people, is how they are treated by everyone (engineers, teachers, students) when they are looking around the pits and watching the matches.