Big Balls

Posted by Ben at 2/20/2001 5:40 AM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Gunn High School and California.

How many teams can place the big ball on top with the goal on the bridge balanced?

Posted by Peter Krumdieck at 2/20/2001 7:32 AM EST

Engineer on team #353, Pobots, from POB Central School District.

In Reply to: Big Balls
Posted by Ben on 2/20/2001 5:40 AM EST:

: How many teams can place the big ball on top with the goal on the bridge balanced?

A better question is:

How many can do it in less time than it takes to lose another 0.5 multiplier?

Big balls: They’re just not worth it.

Just say no!

-pete

Posted by Taki at 2/20/2001 9:02 AM EST

Student on team #125, Nutrons, from Milton Academy and Textron Systems.

In Reply to: Re: Big Balls
Posted by Peter Krumdieck on 2/20/2001 7:32 AM EST:

We can. Our bot (125), can place big balls on top of goals while the goals are on the bridge and we are on
the ground; we do it pretty quickly actually.Also,
our robot gets across the field by going under
the bar and is one of the fastest across the field
(if not the fastest). We can also scores small balls
if we wanted to. Similarly,we can tow goals.

Posted by GregT at 2/20/2001 11:24 AM EST

Student on team #639, RedB^2, from Ithaca High School and Cornell University.

Big balls… hmm let me see, big balls?.. oh yeah, the ones worth 10 points. 10 IS better then 1.

Greg

: : How many teams can place the big ball on top with the goal on the bridge balanced?

: A better question is:

: How many can do it in less time than it takes to lose another 0.5 multiplier?

: Big balls: They’re just not worth it.

: Just say no!

: -pete

Posted by Peter Krumdieck at 2/20/2001 1:09 PM EST

Engineer on team #353, Pobots, from POB Central School District.

Posted by GregT on 2/20/2001 11:24 AM EST:

: Big balls… hmm let me see, big balls?.. oh yeah, the ones worth 10 points. 10 IS better then 1.

: Greg

Yes Greg 10 > 1 ! You have, however, missed the point.
If the time it takes to put the 10 point ball on the goal is long enough to cost a time multiplier of 0.5 than the issue begs further evaluation.

Good luck with your mathematical scoring model.
-pete

Posted by Ken Leung at 2/21/2001 5:16 AM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

I have to disagree with the point that “Big balls: They’re just not worth it.”

I see your point that it takes times to get big balls on the goal. But you have to keep in mind that the strategy of not going for the big ball will be easy enough for a lot of teams to do well in it.

If you are just going for a common strategy, then chances are you will have a common standing among the other teams. I supposed it would be good for teams to do this during qualifying rounds, because it will allow a consistent scoring for teams who do it.

But during elimination you still want to get as many points as possible. As I mentioned, most teams in the elimination rounds will be capable of the common scores, such as getting in the end zone, balancing a goal or two, and a fairly good time-multiplier.

So what’s left in the game to get more points is big balls, small balls, and stretcher. Most people agree that small ball is just not an efficient way of scoring, while others believe that the stretcher is too big and heavy for a fast game.

So what’s left is the big balls. Going for the big balls doesn’t necessary mean it will slow the game down. Since there are 4 robots on the field, one of them can go for the big balls while others are busy on their task.

So what am I saying? I am saying that the teams out there are going to be good enough to handle the big balls without losing any time multiplier unnecessarily.

Have some faith. :slight_smile:

Posted by Matt Rock at 2/20/2001 1:37 PM EST

Student on team #115, Monta Vista Robotics Team, from Monta Vista High School and All those nice people.

: How many teams can place the big ball on top with the goal on the bridge balanced?

MVRT can (Team 115) it takes us around 15-25 seconds roughly from picking up the balls to letting go, so another couple of seconds to get back to the end zone, but we can only do it on one side.

-Matt Rock
MVRT 115

Posted by Bill Gold at 2/20/2001 9:24 PM EST

Student on team #258 from Lincoln High.

We have a single arm which picks up two big balls (in theory, and a little bit of testing) and can place them on top of the two goals when the bridge is balanced.