Big News Today

That’s right… The moment you’ve all been waiting for has finally come. I’ve ported Doom to the RoboRIO 2.0 (https://imgur.com/a/hHcokz2):

111 Likes

Who hurt you?

13 Likes

IDKFA baby!

5 Likes

man IDSPISPOPD would have been so useful in 2017

2 Likes

You should stick a Falcon 500 on there for sound.

45 Likes

EDIT: Kidding aside - it’s running chocolate-doom and it’s barely touching the CPU so it wouldn’t be all that difficult if someone wants to write the code for it using Phoenix and WPILib - just needs to use the SDL_mixer library and specify the falcon as the output device (I think?). I’m kinda done at the moment. I needed to recompile the kernel and verify I could get it working so adding a bunch of frame buffer stuff was a fun hack to that process but I got what I needed.

11 Likes

I wonder how easy it would be to interface a SC-88 to the RIO… Anyone have a MIDI output MXP board?

3 Likes

Long over due.

2 Likes

Any reason it needs the RoboRIO 2.0 over the regular RoboRIO?

4 Likes

You could probably do it on a 1.0… but that is an exercise I will leave for someone else.

1 Like

I spent entirely too much time in my graduate school lab playing a pre-WWW hard-wired computer to computer multiplayer version of Doom circa 1993. Would do it again!

4 Likes

But Can It Run Crysis?

4 Likes

TSIMFD!

(More text cause I can’t just write that on CD)

1 Like

I’m almost afraid to ask… Work like this is usually amidst actual research isn’t it? What were you cooking up or trying to…?

5 Likes

Very cool! Is that a Nextion display?

1 Like

It’s DOOM. On a RIO. You need more than that?

7 Likes

Indeed. I wanted to verify that the kernel build process works for the 2.0 as it did for the 1.0. Turns out, there are a few differences that need to be worked out. I’ve reported both of them to NI and waiting on their feedback and changes.

2 Likes

It’s an old robopeak usbdisplay via dfrobot. They are hard to find these days but seeed has a version of the same driver that works with the wioterminal devices that they sell.

Marshall works in mysterious ways.

3 Likes

Add “Harbinger of DOOM” to the list.

4 Likes