Biggest Steals

Which alliances at champs got a robot on their alliance that really played above their rank/pick number? There was definitely some interesting alliances with how some divisions played out
(I meant to phrase that for this year specifically)

7 Likes

2017 Archimedes #1 alliance got 2137 who was ranked 54th.

5 Likes

In 2017 5654 made it to einstein picking as the 6th alliance captains teams 2415 from rank 18, and 2630 from rank 46.
Both were 1st and 2nd teams on the pick list.

4 Likes

2468 and 2056 got 8033 who was a mighty scoring machine and came reeeeeaaallly close to upsetting the #2 alliance with a continuous score and opportunistic deference strategy.

14 Likes

Biggest steals I can think of was on Turing, Strike Zone being 8th alliance captain: getting 5172 and 3061, they came insanely close to upsetting 1577’s and 4414

9 Likes

Strike zone (5460) picked Gators (5172), not themselves lol. I don’t mean to be that guy but Gators is one of the best MN teams and deserves some recognition.

Thank you for the correction! I completely concur, 5172 (gators) were extremely underanked and 3061 (huskie) were a sleeper. That I could easily have seen being in the finals if they were on the other side of the bracket.

3 Likes

I mean, they literally were playing the second best alliance, and they were close to taking a game off of them. Unfortunate matchup, especially since no MN team made it past semis, and gators really had a good shot this year.

2 Likes

5940 (ranked 3) picked 6328 (ranked 22) 1st as 3rd alliance captain and won the Roebling division.

12 Likes

6036 being a 2nd pick was incredible, running a 5-ball autonomous and scoring like crazy with their smooth swerve drive

4 Likes

7407 was incredibly happy to pick up 4362 in the second round on Roebling, they had a great, high-ceiling robot and a phenomenal drive team. They had electrical issues throughout the day on Thursday after falling from a climb but worked them out and played very well on Friday. I think their resulting low averages scared people away. Look at trends, folks.

3 Likes

Newton in 2007 worked out OK for a few maroon teams.

1 Like

You can’t go wrong picking the Gems, they always impress me come playoff time. That’s a very well run team.

8 Likes

3005 on Newton was the second pick of the second alliance - getting a robot that scores more than 27 balls per game in teleop along with a consistent 5 ball auto and a fast traversal is almost criminal

5 Likes

Yep, that was the idea :slight_smile:

Shame we had some hiccups against an alliance you couldn’t afford to do that against, we were thrilled with 3005 (and 4909!) being available to us

Edit: 3005 had some issues on Thursday that deflated their numbers, but we made sure to keep eyes on them Friday to check if they were sorted out in case they were overlooked for that reason. Looked like all systems go in their last 2 matches.

4 Likes

I cant second this enough!! 624 Partnered with them at Waco this year and competed against them in the Mercury division at TX DCMP. They are a really great team. What a steal by 2122 and 111!

4 Likes

Also want to shout out 5804 getting picked up by the 2910/973/1730 alliance. That was an incredibly well driven robot and their team was so sharp when I got the chance to talk to them. Really glad they got a shot on the big stage.

7 Likes

4451 was carrying their alliance offensive power at once point during playoffs and they were the 24th pick of the draft.

3 Likes

If 8033 had a consistent climb, it would have been a first pick candidate. They will have be a power in the near future.

4 Likes

Absolutely agreed, they’ll be a very strong team in the future. Seems the strategy call looked right, leave 8033 balling until the end as their climb was just mid and not quick but it looked like they were having trouble locating cargo in the tiebreaker endgame period otherwise outcome could certainly have flipped. If ifs and buts were candies and nuts… :wink:

1 Like